Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any revision tips for A2 Bio? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished studying AS Biology (Edexcel B) and I would like to get a head start for A2 come September, as I've heard that the workload is much heftier.

Are there any areas in A2 where application of knowledge is assessed more as opposed to just knowledge e.g graphs, analysing data?

I am also aware that formulae like SD and Simpson's/Lincoln's Index are covered, but I'm not so sure how frequently they've appeared in past papers...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position except I did Edexcel SNAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    I'm in the same position except I did Edexcel SNAB.
    That's Salter's Nuffield, correct? How did you find the syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    Just did the WJEC Wales spec and I want to drop it but i'll probably be forced to drop it anyway since my exams went horrendously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narcolepsee)
    That's Salter's Nuffield, correct? How did you find the syllabus?
    Correct.

It's great. I like it. I think it's one of the best syllabuses. I don't think it's hard tbh and it's doable if you put the effort in.

I loved this year's papers (for AS). They were a BIG relief after last year's, seeing as its a new spec!

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished studying AS Biology (Edexcel B) and I would like to get a head start for A2 come September, as I've heard that the workload is much heftier.

Are there any areas in A2 where application of knowledge is assessed more as opposed to just knowledge e.g graphs, analysing data?

I am also aware that formulae like SD and Simpson's/Lincoln's Index are covered, but I'm not so sure how frequently they've appeared in past papers...
    I think they try and do it for everything so you have to be prepared for everything. Generally all the ecology stuff comes up a lot, what with all the different kinds of data you can get with sampling the different kinds of organism. Well, this is from my experience anyway.

Other things would be experiments investigating rates of photosynthesis/respiration. I'd be pretty knowledgable about them if you can. let me know if you need any more clarifications on this

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA but principle is still the same. I found it best to revise for an hour or two every week going over what I'd learned in both AS and A2 and making revision cards.

A good idea for summer could be to research some off the spec stuff for your essay (I assume you need to do an essay) as it's what gets you the highest marks possible. Maybe also look at the A2 spec and see if there is anything that leads on from something you were very comfortable with at AS. Things like genetic crosses and ecology are very easy to learn.

Don't forget about your first year stuff!! I made that mistake

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for that!

I started going over AS as soon as my break began and yes, I find that revision cards are very useful for memorising notes.
    By the way, have you tried going through past papers within a time constraint at home? If so, do you think that it helped you evaluate your areas of strengths and weaknesses? Because I've gone through the past papers like a madman, but I could never will myself to do it within a given time limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuentinM)
    Other things would be experiments investigating rates of photosynthesis/respiration. I'd be pretty knowledgable about them if you can. let me know if you need any more clarifications on this
    Could you give a brief description of the light independent cycle and light dependent cycle, please? Unfortunately, my teacher only skimmed through the theory and I hadn't enough time to digest the information.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for that!

I started going over AS as soon as my break began and yes, I find that revision cards are very useful for memorising notes.
    By the way, have you tried going through past papers within a time constraint at home? If so, do you think that it helped you evaluate your areas of strengths and weaknesses? Because I've gone through the past papers like a madman, but I could never will myself to do it within a given time limit.
    I always used to try and do them under a time limit, but everyone else in my house used to distract me during that, so I gave up on that. Still managed to get an A in Biology. I think the most useful thing for past papers is to see what kind of questions you're gonna be up against and practicing them, and learning what kind of things they might expect from an answer-like how much detail, based on how they worded the question.

I'll try and find some notes on photosynthesis stuff

ReputationRep:
    Could you give a brief description of the light independent cycle and light dependent cycle, please? Unfortunately, my teacher only skimmed through the theory and I hadn't enough time to digest the information.
    Message me about this later, or i'll probably forget

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.