Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1) What will I learn at uni if I do choose to study it?
    2) Is it difficult to get a job after graduating?
    3) Do I get a professional qualification at uni or after I graduate?

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my first year doing Accounting, and I did not do accounting or business studies or economics before. One of my modules was basically A Level economics, which is difficult to fit into 1 term (10 weeks) without having done it before, but listen to the lectures and it's ok. Other modules were organisational behaviour, which covers how teams work, what is the best method to manage people etc. Another module was law, where you learn the basics of business law. You also learn the basics of finance such as how a business raises money, stocks, shares etc. There are also elements of group work and learning how to make your own business. You also obviously learn the basics of accounting and its concepts, it's similar to A level accounting if you want to have a look at the textbooks. In addition, there is also some statistics but it's similar to that in S2

To my knowledge it is not difficult to get a job, graduates can go into all areas of finance, investment banking, insurance, or big 4 or other accounting firms. I don't think you will be able to get a professional qualification but you will definitely get exemptions for accounting qualifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrjowanna)
    I have just finished my first year doing Accounting, and I did not do accounting or business studies or economics before. One of my modules was basically A Level economics, which is difficult to fit into 1 term (10 weeks) without having done it before, but listen to the lectures and it's ok. Other modules were organisational behaviour, which covers how teams work, what is the best method to manage people etc. Another module was law, where you learn the basics of business law. You also learn the basics of finance such as how a business raises money, stocks, shares etc. There are also elements of group work and learning how to make your own business. You also obviously learn the basics of accounting and its concepts, it's similar to A level accounting if you want to have a look at the textbooks. In addition, there is also some statistics but it's similar to that in S2

To my knowledge it is not difficult to get a job, graduates can go into all areas of finance, investment banking, insurance, or big 4 or other accounting firms. I don't think you will be able to get a professional qualification but you will definitely get exemptions for accounting qualifications
    Thank you so much, this was really helpful. I really enjoy maths, is there a certain amount of maths in accounting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonest)
    Thank you so much, this was really helpful. I really enjoy maths, is there a certain amount of maths in accounting?
    No problem! Yes I had some statistics modules that had similar content to S1, S2 and some elements of D1 A level maths as well. And there is some maths in accounting which is pretty simple and straightforward if you've done A level maths.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of mathematics? I loved maths until they brought in things like logarithms and Exponentials. Despite that, I loved percentages etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blookie)
    What kind of mathematics? I loved maths until they brought in things like logarithms and Exponentials. Despite that, I loved percentages etc.
    There wasn't much logarithms and exponentials in first year, but there might be more in second year as it is sometimes used in finance. The maths I learnt in first year was like D1, so decision analysis, project scheduling, linear programming
    There was also statistics like hypothesis testing, probability, different distributions (Normal, Poisson, binomial), Central Limit Theorem, confidence intervals, different statistical tests e.g. t-test, z-test, and linear regression. There is also basic maths such as percentages
    But if you did A Level maths then you will be fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.