jamestsr5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which colleges have the most open atmosphere / support for LGBT?

Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 11 months ago
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jamestsr5)
We think all of the JCRs have either Equality/Diversity or LGBTQ Reps, the great majority of colleges fly Rainbow Flag and run LGBTQ+ awareness workshops in Freshers week and hold other events. A growing number also have gender-neutral washrooms &c. There has been a lot of change at Oxford over the past few years and we would expect more to follow.

Perhaps TSR members at specific colleges could post some reflections about what their college is like?

Tim Ramsay graduated from Brasenose a couple of years ago and now runs Just Like Us. He writes about this and his Oxford experience here: https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brase...2-just-like-us
StevetheIcecube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jamestsr5)
I know Wadham has a trans rep and a queer event during the year, which certainly makes it very appealing! I remember seeing St John's flying the rainbow flag when I was there (in February, I think). I can't remember which one it is, but there's another college (Mansfield??) that has a gay reputation and apparently St Hilda's has a lesbian reputation.
rosie.mn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wadham and St Hildas!
Overload0
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People have told me that Wadham is considered the most LGBT college. However, I've been told that if you're not a minority then they won't like you.
spl1100122
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Queen's, only if you're a lesbian activist.
ConicalFlask
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All of the colleges seem to be LGBTQ+ friendly, with most, if not all, having LGBTQ+ reps, and many having trans reps and gender neutral toilets as well. Many colleges fly the rainbow flag for all or part of February and June, and those that don't tend to have valid reason's why they don't - for example they can't fly a flag if they don't have a flagpole!

Some colleges may have a reputation for being more conservative, but it feels like those colleges make even more of an effort to move away from that stereotype. Magdalen, for example, is seen as a fairly traditional college, but has LGBTQ+ reps in both the JCR and MCR, a JCR trans rep position and transitioning fund (for funding binders, breast forms etc), gender neutral toilets across college, annual events such as a pride bop and LGBTQ+ black tie dinner, and casual drinks in college every week.
Last edited by ConicalFlask; 1 year ago
StevetheIcecube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
By contrast, Oriel has non-accessible gender neutral toilets that are very clearly just painted over gendered toilets, no trans reps (I'm p sure I'm the only trans student lol), and never participates in LGBTQ+ stuff. They're getting better and I hope they'll continue to get better (I'm LGBTQ+ rep starting next term), but for many colleges there's a long way to go.

In general, no college is unfriendly outright. Some of them lack enough to be called friendly or welcoming, though. If you want an example, Worcester has no gender neutral toilets, trans rep, or transition fund. The college probably isn't trying to be exclusionary - they're just not particularly inclusive. A lot of the inclusivity of a college depends on the individual work a rep has put in at some point over the years.
ConicalFlask
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StevetheIcecube)
By contrast, Oriel has non-accessible gender neutral toilets that are very clearly just painted over gendered toilets, no trans reps (I'm p sure I'm the only trans student lol), and never participates in LGBTQ+ stuff. They're getting better and I hope they'll continue to get better (I'm LGBTQ+ rep starting next term), but for many colleges there's a long way to go.

In general, no college is unfriendly outright. Some of them lack enough to be called friendly or welcoming, though. If you want an example, Worcester has no gender neutral toilets, trans rep, or transition fund. The college probably isn't trying to be exclusionary - they're just not particularly inclusive. A lot of the inclusivity of a college depends on the individual work a rep has put in at some point over the years.
I agree with this totally - the effort, unfortunately, has to come from the student body when creating trans reps, transitioning funds, gender neutral and accessible toilets etc. It's a also a shame when these things are created, through a lot of effort, and don't get used or the positions don't get filled. For example, the Magdalen trans rep position is currently unfilled because there is no trans JCR member who wants to run for it, but not because there is no support from the JCR or college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (87)
63.04%
No (51)
36.96%

Watched Threads