Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I put it here because I've heard MOOCs are a valuable addition to a personal statement.

I'm considering doing one over the holidays which involves learning content through videos and texts, then being tested on it at the end of each week. This seems feasible, but I've also got a lot of work to do over the holidays for A-Levels as it is.

So, to those of you who have done a MOOC, is it something that can be done on the side, or does it require more investment than that?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Nobody)
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I put it here because I've heard MOOCs are a valuable addition to a personal statement.

I'm considering doing one over the holidays which involves learning content through videos and texts, then being tested on it at the end of each week. This seems feasible, but I've also got a lot of work to do over the holidays for A-Levels as it is.

So, to those of you who have done a MOOC, is it something that can be done on the side, or does it require more investment than that?
    It depends on the MOOC. You can get ones that are shorter - I've seen some that only last 2 weeks - or some that require fewer hours each week. There are several sites that offer MOOCs such as Futurelearn, Courses and edx so you can have a look around eech and see if any courses meet your requirements.

ReputationRep:

Depends on the MOOC and plus you should do it because you enjoy it not because you have to do it for your ps, honestly if you are applying for top unis it shudnt matter too much more about the grades.

ReputationRep:

Hi

I've done a few before on FutureLearn and Coursera (I haven't tried EdX yet but I have an upcoming one on it soon ). I dropped out of uni in 2015 (BSc Environmental Sciences) and spent the last two years ill, meaning I have nothing to show for my "gap" years. I'm applying for a 2018 entry so I'm also doing them to spice up my personal statement.

I prefer Coursera as it's more in-depth than FutureLearn. If you do one course at a time, you can easily do the week's worth of content in a day (if you make notes, it takes way less if you don't but then what's the point?). Sometimes you get extra reading but I've never read them cover to cover and still managed to get 90-100% in quizzes and written assignments.

Every course is different though! I've done an "Environmental Management" one from the Technical Uni of Denmark and I usually had an hour's worth of videos and no extra reading every week, with an additional quiz or a 200 word written assignment to test me.

For "Energy and Climate Policy" by Uni of London, I had about 30mins of videos and perhaps an hour's worth of reading each week. They didn't give me quizzes, only ~400 word essays.

Oh and you also have to mark 3 of your course mate's essays (and you'll get 3 people to mark yours as well), but you'll have a short mark scheme and just click "yes" or "no" (or 1/2/3/4 points based on how well they did) so it's super quick and easy.

You can also switch to the next session (the same course restarts every month or so and you can transfer all your grades without penalty). For courses with only quizzes, you can do them at any speed as they don't require other people to mark your answers.

I rambled on a little but I hope this helps
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

For those I've done you can dip in and out and skip bits in most cases. If it's taking too much time you can just stop doing it.

There's often no real need to stick to the strict timetable.

Do them because you find them interesting....if you're finding it dull then follow your genuine interests to watch/participate/read something you DO enjoy...talking about your interests with genuine enthusiasm is what boosts your PS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the great responses everybody; I'll give it a go!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.