The Student Room Group

Relating nurse shadowing to medicine...??? Personal statement

Hi, during my time at a hospice i got the opportunity to shadow a nurse whilst taking to patients on a one to one basis about their stories, it became pretty emotional and the patients started talking about death and all but the way she handled the situation and showed compassion and understanding towards the patients was really insipiring. Now the issue i have is i wanted to go on about the importance of the patient-doctor relationship and link it but because she was a nurse it doesn't really tie in, also i feel that if i put that in my personal statement the interviewers are going to be like why a doctor why not a nurse..... do you think i should change it to saying i shadowed a doctor instead beause it wouldnt really make a huge difference because im sure it would have been the same.
Reply 1
Both professions work in the healthcare field and all professionals therein need good communication skills to talk to patients. It doesn't matter if it was an HCA, doctor or nurse, they all need to talk to patients!

I would harp on the good communication skills and the compassion shown by the nurse which doctors also need to show. You can say it's especially important for a doctor to ensure they build a good rapport with their patients so they can better help the patient (i.e. glean more information from them as more rapport = more information in patient histories).

It's fine to say it's a nurse as not everyone can get experience shadowing a doctor and interviewers know this.

I've found this useful in the past to help others writing about these things. The bolded text represents the qualities that the candidate is showing by talking about what they're writing about.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bow Tie
Both professions work in the healthcare field and all professionals therein need good communication skills to talk to patients. It doesn't matter if it was an HCA, doctor or nurse, they all need to talk to patients!

I would harp on the good communication skills and the compassion shown by the nurse which doctors also need to show. You can say it's especially important for a doctor to ensure they build a good rapport with their patients so they can better help the patient (i.e. glean more information from them as more rapport = more information in patient histories).

It's fine to say it's a nurse as not everyone can get experience shadowing a doctor and interviewers know this.

I've found this useful in the past to help others writing about these things. The bolded text represents the qualities that the candidate is showing by talking about what they're writing about.

Hi thank you, that is really useful, could u possibly read this part to make sure it sounds ok or if i should improve it in any way?
Reply 3
Original post by mayastephen
Hi thank you, that is really useful, could u possibly read this part to make sure it sounds ok or if i should improve it in any way?

I'd be happy to help but directly message me. As a general rule of thumb, you don't publicly post any portion of your personal statement online until your application cycle is over (this avoids plagiarism claims).
I wouldn't lie ,even a white one, on your PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending