The Student Room Group

Law in London

I am an Israeli student with the equivalent grades of A*AA (only just, the equivalent
is 90% and I have 90.6%). I want to apply to Law but for personal reasons it has to be in London. I was thinking LSE, KCL, QMUL (two different Law courses), but then what do I do for the fifth choice? I want it to be an insurance, so no point in putting
UCL.
If your grades are already achieved, there is no point having an insurance.

QMUL is the only course there which will accept lower than A*AA, so if you wanted an ultra-safe insurance QM should be it. I would double-apply to one of the others, rather than QMUL. I don't see why you don't apply to UCL too.
Reply 2
Thanks for the input it's exactly what I was thinking, but I wanted to hear it from someone else. UCL have a strange requirement for Israeli students which is a 90 minimum instead of an average of 90. I think it's a mistake because even Oxbridge don't have a 90 minimum in all 8 exams. I don't know anyone who has achieved that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
If you have ruled out UCL, then:

SOAS
City

As an Israeli, from what I have heard, SOAS is probably not a good option. . I
suppose City is the only other option. Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Shellyarad
I am an Israeli student with the equivalent grades of A*AA (only just, the equivalent
is 90% and I have 90.6%). I want to apply to Law but for personal reasons it has to be in London. I was thinking LSE, KCL, QMUL (two different Law courses), but then what do I do for the fifth choice? I want it to be an insurance, so no point in putting
UCL.

Mate you will get into king`s and QMUL. LSE is tough regardless, so other things will count (PS, Recommendation)
Thanks for the input it's exactly what I was thinking, but I wanted to hear it from someone else. UCL have a strange requirement for Israeli students which is a 90 minimum instead of an average of 90. I think it's a mistake because even Oxbridge don't have a 90 minimum in all 8 exams. I don't know anyone who has achieved that.

A*AA is the minimum grade for all of them (except QMUL). Don't worry about that and apply to UCL anyway.
Reply 6
I am very sensitive to anyone who would feel, that their race, gender, ethnicity, sexual preference, religion or in this case, national origin, would cause them to not be able to get on well someplace. Let me say, I am going, Inshallah to SOAS this fall, and so I think highly of the school. I wanted to give you an article about your concerns, which was recently written by a member of the staff.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/soas-not-anti-semitic-but-diverse-and-vibrant/

I realize you are not so much looking at SOAS as your first choice, but as a safety school. However, as with anything in life, as I am sure you know, we can not nor should we always go by what we heard, because sometimes what we hear may be accurate, sometimes it might be part true and part false, and of course, other times all false. But we should definitely inquire and found out more, beyond what we heard, for one of the hallmarks of a good lawyer/barrister/solicitor is not simply going by what is said or heard, but going deeper into a subject with an open mind and ability to study the facts.

May Allah/Eli bless you on your journey to the right place for your education and with much success in your legal education and career.

As an Israeli, from what I have heard, SOAS is probably not a good option. . I
suppose City is the only other option. Thanks.
Original post by luq_ali
I am very sensitive to anyone who would feel, that their race, gender, ethnicity, sexual preference, religion or in this case, national origin, would cause them to not be able to get on well someplace. Let me say, I am going, Inshallah to SOAS this fall, and so I think highly of the school. I wanted to give you an article about your concerns, which was recently written by a member of the staff.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/soas-not-anti-semitic-but-diverse-and-vibrant/

I realize you are not so much looking at SOAS as your first choice, but as a safety school. However, as with anything in life, as I am sure you know, we can not nor should we always go by what we heard, because sometimes what we hear may be accurate, sometimes it might be part true and part false, and of course, other times all false. But we should definitely inquire and found out more, beyond what we heard, for one of the hallmarks of a good lawyer/barrister/solicitor is not simply going by what is said or heard, but going deeper into a subject with an open mind and ability to study the facts.

May Allah/Eli bless you on your journey to the right place for your education and with much success in your legal education and career.

Excellent post. Good on you.
Reply 8
Original post by luq_ali

Salam Alkoom. Thank you for taking your time to give me a detailed answer, unfortunately I feel not everyone is as tolerant and excepting as you, and this is not always to do with your Muslim brothers. Sometimes the worse and more intolerant are the left wing non-religious British community. It is also not a matter of anti-Semitism but anti-Israeli, as even this article alludes to, is probably very prevalent in SOAS. Having said that you have given me food for thought, and I will check a bit further. Shukran and Maa Salama.
Reply 9
You are planning on studying, I think, not this fall term of 2017, but for the fall of 2018, right? Inshallah, I will be posting my impressions and observations about my time at SOAS. I really would like to see others take the time to do the same thing about their experiences at LSE, UCL, Kings, etc. Especially, for those of us who are lawyers or who are interested in law study, in the areas of LLB, LLM and Phd experiences in Law. (I think there is this natural tendency to be active on here, then get accepted into a program and then just sort of disappear. Hopefully more people will take a few moments to just jot down their experiences this term, I'd love to, on a personal level, be able to read more about phd experiences across different programs, to have been able to read about the LLM experiences across different programs, as I'm sure you and many others would want to be able to read about the LLB experience and other degree programs.)

So, hopefully I can say if I'm seeing, on a personal level, those sorts of sentiments SOAS specifically, and across my interactions at the University of London center in general-to which almost all the programs you are interested are a part of. I think the critical issue is engagement. You should not have to go somewhere to experience, in a learning environment anti-Israeli feelings and expressions, anymore than anyone should have to experience that sort of thing in the context of race, religion, LGBT status, etc. BUT, unfortunately, the university systems are a microcosm of the greater realities in the world, with all the division, hatred, wars, conflicts, etc. We have to begin to be able to engage in constructive dialogue towards building bridges, healing wounds and hopefully crafting peaceful solutions. In that process, there will be confrontations, no matter the University setting (albeit, of course, one would want to find a place to study with the least amount of friction), persons who are very strong in their views on either side, as well as those who are moderates. One thing about my law school experience in the U.S., was the ability to engage in respectable dialogue, which is the only way to build those sorts of bridges. I'm hopeful of a similar experience in the UK, in London specifically. But I'll be happy to share with you and all who read whatever I will post, some critical examination, into this issue. One of the year long modules I will be taking will be Law, Human Rights and Peace Building:The Israeli-Palestinian Case Lecture. I fully expect, as I think anyone should, for their to be some passionate discussions, and some people will perhaps not be accustomed to having their view points or opinions questioned and parsed, naturally there will be some emotions flowing in that regard, but that is an important part of seeking solutions. On the other hand, I will make it a point to see, as objectively as I can, if things carry on too far, towards the type of animus you noted. I've heard good things about the module, so Inshallah, I'm looking forward to sharing my observations in general about SOAS, and with some specificity to this particular module.

Salam Alkoom. Thank you for taking your time to give me a detailed answer, unfortunately I feel not everyone is as tolerant and excepting as you, and this is not always to do with your Muslim brothers. Sometimes the worse and more intolerant are the left wing non-religious British community. It is also not a matter of anti-Semitism but anti-Israeli, as even this article alludes to, is probably very prevalent in SOAS. Having said that you have given me food for thought, and I will check a bit further. Shukran and Maa Salama.

Quick Reply

Latest