Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What advice would you give your past self [Golden thread] Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Mine would have to be: enjoy your childhood and being young.

I feel like I spent too much of my school life with my head in a book and less time making friends or developing hobbies, so now that I am working, I find it difficult to start doing either of these effectively.

ReputationRep:
    Play hard and work hard.

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell him not to buy anything ever so when I returned to the future I'd be super rich.

ReputationRep:
    My advise to my younger self would be to not be afraid to go to Uni! I've turned 40 this year and have always been afraid that I would not have been able to afford to study at Uni.

I've always had a desire to keep on learning and as such, have changed my jobs as frequently as I change my socks (ok, maybe not that frequently....)

ReputationRep:
    not to mess about in school/college/university and work hard because the real adult world is a hard place to live

also not to take myself so seriously

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell myself to look after my mental health. Speak up early, get help, and don't keep pushing through school when I'm breaking down. 5 years for recovery is a long time; it's better to take a year out at the start, than have to keep retaking and relapsing because you never dedicated the time to look after yourself properly.

Also, get into sport young. Take up cross country or archery. Pick up violin. Just...do something. Stay fit and healthy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Stop being so defeatist, apply to university.

ReputationRep:
    Stop allowing yourself to be walked all over, and put yourself first sometimes. Still be nice and be there whenever your friends need you, but make it a more positive experience for both parties. Don't worry about your body, and don't worry too much what other people think and do, just get on without letting peers interfere or influence you too much. Hurry up and do the things you dream of, do that skydive for your 18th (this was a plan for years then when it got to my 18th earlier this year I never got around to booking it) and learn to drive before you want to be driving and going to uni, because really I left it too late!

ReputationRep:
    Time is the most valuable commodity you have. Don't waste it sitting on a computer all day - do something, learn something, it doesn't matter what as long as you go to bed feeling you've accomplished something with the day.

Oh, and be careful of girls from Florida. They can be genuinely crazy...

ReputationRep:
    Pay more attention so there's a less chance you'll be living in the family caravan for the rest of your life!

ReputationRep:
    Stop seeking approval from other people

ReputationRep:
    Revise a lot more before exams, but other than that stay the same

ReputationRep:
    Try harder at GCSE level and start revising earlier (I started properly at April)
    Not to carry on with hobbies and clubs that I didn't enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Should've been more confident and talked to more people and to be out there.
    • Welcome Squad

To not wear a white bra on the day of my year 11 shirt signing

Age 15 year old me;

Don't be shy, kiss that gorgeous guy, otherwise you'll be thinking about how you wish you did and wish you went out with him until you're 22 🙄 you will bump into him every other year and it'll will feel more awkward and you'll feel more anxious around him, so just bluddy do it!!!!

Also don't try to fit in with the two girls who clearly aren't including you and your other two friends, it shouldn't be a popularity contest, forget them because you'll lose touch with them and you will not be wearing those glasses, mate we made it we unexpectedly get laser eye surgery!!!! Yas!

....Also 15 year old me;

Please give a f*ck about school or life in general, I know you don't feel pretty now or smart now, but I have hope we'll get there eventually, i mean we made it to uni after all lol.

Watch what you eat. lol it still impacts me today

ReputationRep:
    Keep doing what you're doing!

ReputationRep:
    eat jelly beans.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.