Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've already got 3 A levels, just finished first year of uni but decided that the course wasn't for me. I know what I definitely want to study now, but to do that a need another science A level (I currently have 1). So my plan for 2017-18 is to do Biology A level in 1 year. However, I feel like it's all going to be a bit rushed as I'll have to do my personal statement, relevant experience and acquire a significant understanding of biology before the interview (if I get any). It seems like it would make more sense to do the a level over two years (and of course work and do other things during this time) and then apply for 2019 entry so that by the time I apply, I will have a year of Biology knowledge, time to get work experience, more accurate predicted grades and so on. However, since I've already been out of school for a year, it would be another 2 years before I can start and I really want to start university as soon as possible. Should I take one or two years?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say do whatever you feel most comfortable with. However if you really want to go to university as soon as possible, I think that's motivation enough to push yourself into doing it in one year. It will be hard work but university being one year sooner might be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erin0731)
    I've already got 3 A levels, just finished first year of uni but decided that the course wasn't for me. I know what I definitely want to study now, but to do that a need another science A level (I currently have 1). So my plan for 2017-18 is to do Biology A level in 1 year. However, I feel like it's all going to be a bit rushed as I'll have to do my personal statement, relevant experience and acquire a significant understanding of biology before the interview (if I get any). It seems like it would make more sense to do the a level over two years (and of course work and do other things during this time) and then apply for 2019 entry so that by the time I apply, I will have a year of Biology knowledge, time to get work experience, more accurate predicted grades and so on. However, since I've already been out of school for a year, it would be another 2 years before I can start and I really want to start university as soon as possible. Should I take one or two years?
    By any chance are you wanting to apply for medicine? If so, many med schools will only accept sitting of A levels in 2 years with preferably no resits. If not, which course are you wanting to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    By any chance are you wanting to apply for medicine? If so, many med schools will only accept sitting of A levels in 2 years with preferably no resits. If not, which course are you wanting to apply for?
    No, it's dietetics I'm applying for. Thanks for the reply
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    If you want to start university straight away, you could look into doing a foundation degree in biology (or ask universities if they would accept you for the course if you did a foundation degree and ask them which is preferable).

I think you'll be able to do the biology exam in one year since it's all your focusing on, especially if you're motivated to get to uni sooner. If you know the reasons why you want to undertake a dietetics degree and why you felt your first year at university wasn't for you, you'll be able to explain this in interviews and in a personal statement - it won't all just depend on what you know about biology. Make sure your transferable skills, experience and motivations are clear in your personal statement and express these as well as you can in an interview, as these will be really important for offers especially when you won't have the results for biology by then.

In the end, it's your choice, but think about whether you really want to have time off and get experience, or whether you want to get back to uni as soon as possible, and whatever you'd rather do you will certainly be able to achieve that!

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

The decision is yours, but as the above poster mentioned, if you want to start University as soon as possible I'd consider only taking one year out. Although it would be challenging at times to complete an A-Level whilst gaining relevant experience and understanding of the subject, it would be worth it! If you're passionate about studying Dietetics, use this as your motivation for the next year so that you land a place at University quicker than you expected.

Hope this helps and Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone I think I will do it just in one year. Will probably be very stressful and a lot of hard work but I think I can do it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone I think I will do it just in one year. Will probably be very stressful and a lot of hard work but I think I can do it.
    Good luck! You can definitely do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.