Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it recommended to take 4 A level subjects and not write one at AS level? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laatinah)
    I sort of have a problem choosing between biology and physics. Both are needed to apply for medicine so now I want to do both along with Mathematics and Chemistry at A level. Is 4 subjects recommended?
    Just a heads up, not taking biology would limit your choices of med schools by around half (source: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf)

Edit: 17 out of 31 med schools in the UK require biology at A-Level (or AS level minimum). Alphabetically, this includes:

Brighton/Sussex

Cardiff

East Anglia

Edinburgh (not compulsory but ‘preferred’)

Exeter

Hull/York

Imperial

King’s College London

Lancaster

Leicester

Liverpool

Nottingham

Plymouth

Southampton

St George’s, London

UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    You want to study medicine and it confuses you that medical schools prefer an A level in biology rather than physics? I'm not following

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes because physics is the universal language of any science related course, apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkm4n)
    Just a heads up, not taking biology would limit your choices of med schools by around half (source: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf)
    Oh no. Just when I thought I could leave biology. More thinking to do now but thank you for this. It's very informative

ReputationRep:
    Yes because physics is the universal language of any science related course, apparently
    Well don't expect a great deal of physics in a medicine degree

ReputationRep:
    Oh no. Just when I thought I could leave physics. More thinking to do now but thank you for this. It's very informative
    I know it's frustrating, I was in your exact same shoes 2 years ago. I ended up doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths (despite not wanting to do biology since I didn't like it as much as the others). Having thought that, biology turned out still to be an interesting subject. Regarding doing 4 subjects, it's do-able but be cautious of the new A-level reforms; exams are now linearly assessed (all exams are taken in y13) so there's a bit more pressure at the end

ReputationRep:
    I know it's frustrating, I was in your exact same shoes 2 years ago. I ended up doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths (despite not wanting to do biology since I didn't like it as much as the others). Having thought that, biology turned out still to be an interesting subject. Regarding doing 4 subjects, it's do-able but be cautious of the new A-level reforms; exams are now linearly assessed (all exams are taken in y13) so there's a bit more pressure at the end
    For us we can take some exams in y12 but only if it is AS. So you did 4 subjects at y13?

ReputationRep:
    For us we can take some exams in y12 but only if it is AS. So you did 4 subjects at y12?
    Depending on your school, if you do AS exams in a subject and decide not to continue it to A2, you will still keep your AS qualification. With the new A-Level reforms, if you continue to A2, your AS qualification gets erased.

In y12 I did 5 AS levels (bio, chem, physics, maths and further maths). In y13 I dropped further maths and picked up EPQ (meaning I still have that AS qualification in f.maths).

ReputationRep:
    Depending on your school, if you do AS exams in a subject and decide not to continue it to A2, you will still keep your AS qualification. With the new A-Level reforms, if you continue to A2, your AS qualification gets erased.

In y12 I did 5 AS levels (bio, chem, physics, maths and further maths). In y13 I dropped further maths and picked up EPQ (meaning I still have that AS qualification in f.maths).
    Ok understood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Universities rarely ask for 4, especially for medicine. Which universities are you talking about?
    Nm, I got that wrong, it was only Imperial that asked for 4.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.