Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need to quit after my first day... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I signed the contract to start my job and did training that same day. I went home and realised for what it is, minimum wage isn't enough for all the hard labour is the job, even if the environment and people are now my friends.

I am expected to continue training tomorrow - but I've decided I would like to quit.

I have no idea how to do this without offending people and looking bad but ultimately I have to get on with life. I am moving soon so unfortunately the job would be even more difficult to get to.

As someone with social anxiety, I tried so hard to get this job, through the interview process and much more so I am quite angry at myself for not being able to speak up on the day and say im not happy with the pay etc. It wouldn't even cover the cost of travel.

Please help - how can I go about this? Am I over reacting? I assume if I left, there are others, since I did a group interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishflake)
    Yesterday I signed the contract to start my job and did training that same day. I went home and realised for what it is, minimum wage isn't enough for all the hard labour is the job, even if the environment and people are now my friends.

I am expected to continue training tomorrow - but I've decided I would like to quit.

I have no idea how to do this without offending people and looking bad but ultimately I have to get on with life. I am moving soon so unfortunately the job would be even more difficult to get to.

As someone with social anxiety, I tried so hard to get this job, through the interview process and much more so I am quite angry at myself for not being able to speak up on the day and say im not happy with the pay etc. It wouldn't even cover the cost of travel.

Please help - how can I go about this? Am I over reacting? I assume if I left, there are others, since I did a group interview.
    I know it'll be challenging, but you need to have a sit-down talk with your manager and explain why the job is no longer suitable for you. State that firstly you're moving further away and can't do anything about the move (otherwise they might expect you to make the effort to stay close to the job) and that the job simply doesn't pay enough to support you in the position and especially your travel. They should understand that the situation has changed. Also as you've only been there one day you wouldn't get a reference from them so there isn't much for you to worry about leaving behind.

ReputationRep:

If the pay barely covers the cost of travel then that sounds like a completely valid reason for quitting. Also you could tell them that you've unexpectedly had to move quite far away so that getting there would be even more inconvenient?

ReputationRep:
    Ive decided I am going to email the manager. And then if he needs to, he can ring me back. Thank you everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Capitalism rears its head!! Employers try to offer the minimum possible pay. So long as they can hire someone (anyone) at that rate of pay, they will continue to do so. If they cannot get any applicants, they will whine to the local government that "nobody will take these jobs" and "we need to import foreign labour to get this work done"!! NO!!! you need to pay a decent wage - then you'll have plenty of applicants!! They try the same scam on this side of the pond with "H1B" applicants - where they get authorisation to import a bunch of foreign engineers (for example) because no local natives will take the jobs at $15,000 USD per year. When the average rent on a small flat is running about $1800 a month - of course they won't. At that pay scale, if you had place to live, you couldn't buy food. If the local government is able to 'sell' this argument to the public - what you get is the taxpayer subsidizing the business, by importing labour at a depressed salary level, which puts downward pressure on all native employees, by forcing the taxpayers to provide "benefits" to ppl working at a depressed wage. Ultimately, what you end up with is Venezuela [or Greece]. Cheers.

ReputationRep:

I think at the end of the day you shouldn't feel bad about quitting - although I would take a lesson from it to be careful in future and consider everything before applying. I'm applying for a lot of jobs and I've had to turn down some because I hadn't worked out how I was going to get there!

Essentially, the business would rather have someone working there that is happy and will "enjoy" working there. So if you don't think that's possible then do not feel bad about quitting. They might be disappointed but to be frank, who cares? You probably won't see them again.

A year ago I started at Staples but quickly realised, like yourself, for what I was doing the pay wasn't worth it so I quit after a week. You should be within your probation period so are well within your rights to quit? Hope that's helped a little bit!

ReputationRep:
    The thing is they stringed me along this far and the process has taken a toll on me and this topping it off it just not great.

They should've told me the pay before they were getting me to sign. They never mentioned it so i assumed it was as advertised when I sent my CV which it most definitely was not.

The thing is they stringed me along this far and the process has taken a toll on me and this topping it off it just not great.

They should've told me the pay before they were getting me to sign. They never mentioned it so i assumed it was as advertised when I sent my CV which it most definitely was not.
    If you do not mind me asking, what is the pay rate?

ReputationRep:

I've decided working minimum wage before just for the experience. But since it does not cover the travel costs. Definitely contact your manager regarded your issues.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:

Did you see the pay when they sent the contract/offer to you? As someone posted earlier, always do the sums before you accept a job. I moved From Cheltenham to London for a meaty pay rise but didn't calculate the cost of living change...big error. That being said, I am a strong believer in the loss leader, so if it is worth persevering with the lower pay for future gains (be it at another company), then I would recommend that.

Also, don't send an e-mail, as you go through your career, you will need to have this conversation many, many times. takes this as an opportunity to learn a valuable life skill. You'll feel much better for it

ReputationRep:
    Your contract doesn't include the pay?! That's very odd.

Typically, there'd be a trial period. Have you checked the notice requirement in your contract?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabbit2)
    They try the same scam on this side of the pond with "H1B" applicants - where they get authorisation to import a bunch of foreign engineers (for example) because no local natives will take the jobs at $15,000 USD per year.
    Have you heard of LCA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    If you do not mind me asking, what is the pay rate?
    5.56. long hours job too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Your contract doesn't include the pay?! That's very odd.

Typically, there'd be a trial period. Have you checked the notice requirement in your contract?
    It mentions 5 months probation. Also yesterday was when I signed the contract and paperwork. I wasnt told my pay so i had to get him to write it in for me. Even then, he never said the pay to my face. It was as if he didnt want to lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwyn)
    Did you see the pay when they sent the contract/offer to you? As someone posted earlier, always do the sums before you accept a job. I moved From Cheltenham to London for a meaty pay rise but didn't calculate the cost of living change...big error. That being said, I am a strong believer in the loss leader, so if it is worth persevering with the lower pay for future gains (be it at another company), then I would recommend that.

Also, don't send an e-mail, as you go through your career, you will need to have this conversation many, many times. takes this as an opportunity to learn a valuable life skill. You'll feel much better for it
    I sent an email and offered for them to call me if need be. So I will most likely still have to speak to them over the phone. And if they dont call, thats a win for me since i'll know theyre not too bothered and I wont have to speak.

ReputationRep:

As much as you may like the job, you work colleagues etc, and you are proud of yourself for getting the job, the end of the day and it's a sad fact of life, we are all, well most of us, money orientated, if the wages are not enough for your life style then you will never be happy in your day to day life. Approach your employer, thank them for the opportunity but tell them you circumstances, I have been in the same position, liked job, work colleagues etc but pay was below my expectations. I left after one month; no regrets. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    This is not a new scam. If you read the first part of "Cause For Alarm" by Eric Ambler, the principle character has the same scam tried on him, whilst he is job hunting in the Uk in 1937. Another scam, is health care. Determine who pays for your health care on an overseas posting. Find out who pays for a medevac, should you fall ill or be injured on the job. Additionally, you might want to consider getting in writing the arrangements to get you out of the country, should there be a revolution or such. If you have to arrange your own transport, [like the woman in "Not Without My Daughter"], will your employer cover your expenses. Verbal assurances are worth nothing here. The person that gave them to you may well have been fired, or conveniently 'forget". Get all these things in writing, and keep a couple of copies at home in the Uk [with relatives or such]. You never know what's going to happen overseas - you may have to "leave in your socks", like the contractors in Teheran did - when the revolution occurred there. On overseas tours that i have done, i occasionally have written my own 'contract' covering these details, and asked my employer to sign it before i left. Usually, there was no problem with them doing so. It beats being stuck in Kuwait, with no money, and ISIS looking for you. Cheers.

What sort of job is it?

ReputationRep:
    So just an update incase anyone wanted one:
    They never replied to my email but they took me off their rota (which i could check myself). So i suppose it was good I didnt work for them in the end.

Im about to start my new job today. Hopefully it goes well. Thank you everyone!

ReputationRep:
    So just an update incase anyone wanted one:
    They never replied to my email but they took me off their rota (which i could check myself). So i suppose it was good I didnt work for them in the end.

Im about to start my new job today. Hopefully it goes well. Thank you everyone!
    Why were you expecting an email back? You quit via email after one day. They'll just be annoyed at you for wasting their time and energy and not even having the decency to call. Try and approach the next job with some understanding that things aren't going to be perfect and you usually have to do something crap for low pay at first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.