The Student Room Group

Trump announces transgender people cannot serve in US military

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40729996

Please take the time to check out the community guidelines. Rule breaking posts will be dealt with as appropriate

Scroll to see replies

Given that this is only relevant to a tiny handful of people, I find the costs and disruption argument difficult to believe.

It's just Trump telling his socially conservative supporters what they want to hear.
Did you really expect anything less?
Trump being a nasty human being and targeting anyone who doesn't fit into his narrow view of what is acceptable? Who would have thought?!
Original post by chelseadagg3r
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40729996

Please take the time to check out the community guidelines. Rule breaking posts will be dealt with as appropriate

So what you mean is anyone who agrees with this decision will have their posts deleted?
Reply 5
Hopefully he will also give championship medals back to non-transgender women.
Original post by Pancakes<3
So what you mean is anyone who agrees with this decision will have their posts deleted?

No, anyone who breaks the community guidelines will be in trouble. Things like hate speech. There's a difference between hate speech and 'I agree'
If transgender people are costing the military an extortionate amount of money then perhaps this is the best option until such a time when the military can afford it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by chelseadagg3r
No, anyone who breaks the community guidelines will be in trouble. Things like hate speech. There's a difference between hate speech and 'I agree'

I thought that to condone a crime was to be equally guilty of it.
Seeing a massive backlash here.
Exactly HOW do Transgender people burden the military? It's not like transexual people who require hormones so, exactly how is this relevant or even legal?!
Good.
The American military is already horrible anyway, no need to make it worse.
Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pancakes<3
If transgender people are costing the military an extortionate amount of money then perhaps this is the best option until such a time when the military can afford it.

"Using private health insurance claims data to estimate the cost of extending gender transition–related health care coverage to transgender personnel indicated that active-component health care costs would increase by between $2.4 million and $8.4 million annually, representing a 0.04- to 0.13-percent increase in active-component health care expenditures."

Source: www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1530.html

This has nothing to do with pragmatic concerns like medical costs or military effectiveness, and everything to do with Trump being a contrarian to further his own agenda. So much for being a pro-LGBT candidate: https://www.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/742771576039460864?lang=en

For shame!
(edited 6 years ago)
The cost? Seriously? That was his justification for this, given the enormous budget the US military already commands? :lol:

Literally just another case of Trump trying to look like he's doing something by reversing Obama's laws. So much for caring about American jobs eh!
(edited 6 years ago)
What I don't get is then, why not cut the amount of money spent on prisoners then?
Why discriminate against people who want to actively serve in the military and defend their country?!
this doesn't make sense imo
firstly trans people probably don't make up a massive proprotion of the military so how is the cost so apparently huge?
secondly to the best of my knowledge (feel free to correct me) the US military allows both men and women anyway (unlike the british military where until recently women couldn't join infantry roles). Therefore surely that disregards any argument that transmen might not be as strong as cis men or whatever since women are allowed to serve? anyway i thought testosterone and the hormones trans men take help muscle growth etc so i cant see that being an argument
tbh this just sounds like picking on a group of people who arent hurting anyone or being obstructive just cos trump wants to
Reply 15
Bit rich for a draft dodger to command who's suitable to join the military and who isn't. Trump is a hypocritical oaf.
Original post by MrDystopia
The cost? Seriously? That was his justification for this, given the enormous budget the US military already commands? :lol:

Literally just another case of Trump trying to look like he's doing something by reversing Obama's laws. So much for caring about American jobs eh!

Exactly. I can't do what I want to do, so I"ll do a dog-whistle gesture to make it look like I'm strong and in control.
What % of trans actually serve? I'd guess not even 1%

He's being controversial because he's a ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY
What % of trans actually serve? I'd guess not even 1%

He's being controversial because he's a ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/7/26/16034040/trump-transgender-military-study

2450 out of the 1.3million active personnel. Which comes out to ~0.19%.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't really see why everyone is up in arms over this - surely virtually all transsexuals are far-left and anti-military in the first place?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending