Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Indeed, as i said in a previous post, love is an unquantifiable emotion.
    Since when was life quantifiable :-)

There is a girl whom I believe I love a great deal, I can't stop thinking about her when we're apart. I am happy all the time knowing she exists, have renewed purpose in everything I do, when she says she loves me I feel like I could just die. She is the only person I have ever been so open with, and the same for her me, just thinking about her now nothing matters but the next time we speak. There's hardly an hour goes past we don't text or phone each other and she's the most important thing in my life and gives me a reason to live. Is this love or is this a common thing? :-/ I hope it is... because I dont want this feeling to go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memento)
    Since when was life quantifiable :-)

There is a girl whom I believe I love a great deal, I can't stop thinking about her when we're apart. I am happy all the time knowing she exists, have renewed purpose in everything I do, when she says she loves me I feel like I could just die. She is the only person I have ever been so open with, and the same for her me, just thinking about her now nothing matters but the next time we speak. There's hardly an hour goes past we don't text or phone each other and she's the most important thing in my life and gives me a reason to live. Is this love or is this a common thing? :-/ I hope it is... because I dont want this feeling to go away.
    Sounds like an infatuation.

I still grin when I get a text from my Josh and we have been together for er.. seven months now, I love him in that I love my family and friends, but I wouldnt die for him kinda thing. I guess it just comes down to personal definition of what love is.

ReputationRep:
    Love...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Sounds like an infatuation.

I still grin when I get a text from my Josh and we have been together for er.. seven months now, I love him in that I love my family and friends, but I wouldnt die for him kinda thing. I guess it just comes down to personal definition of what love is.
    Something about that made the whole thing seem less special :-/ You don't sound like the magic I feel, exists for you 7 months on. :-S

ReputationRep:
    Love is overrated....!

ReputationRep:
    "An object of extravagant, short-lived passion."

:'( ...

ReputationRep:

I'm in love. At first it was the sort of butterflies in tummy giggly sort of love. But after 2 and half years its developed into a more secure, respect and admiration. Its mutual which is nice . At this moment in time i can't imagine loving anyone else, and i know he feels the same.

ReputationRep:
    Words are defined subjectively. There are no absolute definitions of words (or, at least, there is no reason to believe that there are). The definitions of the words we use were not written by universal law - they were defined by humans.

In order to successfully communicate with sombody, you both need to be using the same definitions of the words. The majority of people you talk to will be using roughly the same definitions as you do, so you can communicate with them easily. If somebody defines their own words, however, or if somebody uses words with definitions the other party does not know of, this cannot be used to successfully communicate. An example of this is simply an English person trying to speak to a French person with no knowledge of the French language. The French person will use definitions that the English person does not use.

In order to fully understand this, you must understand that there are no 'correct' and 'incorrect' definitions. There are only popular and unpopular definitions. The popular definitions are just somewhat of a standard, but they are no different to any other definitions. If somebody argues that you're using the incorrect definition of any word, they are mistaken, because no definitions are absolute. They are simply telling you how it is defined by the majority of people so that you can communicate with them. If John tells Jack that his house is made of bricks, and Jack is using a different definition of 'brick' than John, then they have not communicated sucessfully. Jack will believe that John's house is made of something else, which is not true.

The definitions of the word 'love' are just as subjective as the definitions of every other word - the problem with this word is that no popular definition exists. Love means so many different things to so many different people that I tend to avoid using the word, because there is no point - I am only using words to communicate with, after all. If people ask me, "Did you love the girl?", I wouldn't know how to respond, because I don't know how to properly communicate with that word. The word is used all the time, yet a popular definition does not really exist. I always try to use the word to represent a strong feeling of attraction for another person, but this definition itself is inderectly relative too. Nothing can be absolutely defined as 'strong', only 'stronger' or 'weaker' relative to another thing. This defintion also does not really fit with many popular statements involving the word love (even seen in this thread itself), such as 'I thought I loved her, but I realised I didn't' or 'being 'in-love'' and people stating that they 'believe they are in love' as if the belief requires faith (because there is no evidence). This is because they really have no idea what love is popularily defined as, because no popular definition exists. It renders 'love' such a pointless word - I hate using it.

This is what people mean when they say they do not believe in love. They do not believe in an absolute definition of love. Of course, relative definitions exist.

ReputationRep:
    I havent really been in love for like 7 years. Way back when i was little there was this girl across the street i used to spend lots of time with, at the playground, walking her home from school. I had fun spending time with her, and enjoyed it very much. I couldnt wait to go to school just to see her.

Then one day, she went out with her family to a mine pit, she was learning to ride a ATV i guess she lost controll and it flipped on her and killed her

last and only time ive ever been in "love"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    Words are defined subjectively. There are no absolute definitions of words (or, at least, there is no reason to believe that there are). The definitions of the words we use were not written by universal law - they were defined by humans.

In order to successfully communicate with sombody, you both need to be using the same definitions of the words. The majority of people you talk to will be using roughly the same definitions as you do, so you can communicate with them easily. If somebody defines their own words, however, or if somebody uses words with definitions the other party does not know of, this cannot be used to successfully communicate. An example of this is simply an English person trying to speak to a French person with no knowledge of the French language. The French person will use definitions that the English person does not use.

In order to fully understand this, you must understand that there are no 'correct' and 'incorrect' definitions. There are only popular and unpopular definitions. If somebody argues that you're using the incorrect definition of any word, they are mistaken, because no definitions are absolute. They are simply telling you how it is defined by the majority of people so that you can communicate with them. If John tells Jack that his house is made of bricks, and Jack is using a different definition of 'brick' than John, then they have not communicated sucessfully. Jack will believe that John's house is made of something else, which is not true.

The definitions of the word 'love' are just as subjective as the definitions of every other word - the problem with this word is that no popular definition exists. Love means so many different things to so many different people that I tend to avoid using the word, because there is no point - I am only using words to communicate with, after all. If people ask me, "Did you love the girl?", I wouldn't know how to respond, because I don't know how to properly communicate with that word. The word is used all the time, yet a popular definition does not really exist. I always try to use the word to represent a strong feeling of attraction for another person, but this definition itself is inderectly relative too. Nothing can be absolutely defined as 'strong', only 'stronger' or 'weaker' relative to another thing. This defintion also does not really fit with many popular statements involving the word love (even seen in this thread itself), such as 'I thought I loved her, but I realised I didn't' or 'being 'in-love'' and people stating that they 'believe they are in love' as if the belief requires faith (because there is no evidence). This is because they really have no idea what love is popularily defined as, because no popular definition exists. It renders 'love' such a pointless word - I hate using it.

This is what people mean when they say they do not believe in love. They do not believe in an absolute definition of love. Of course, relative definitions exist.
    I love you :-)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but she's in hospital after getting very ill last night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Yes, but she's in hospital after getting very ill last night
    Oh poo.. Best wishes to her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soccercrazygal)
    How many of u guys have actually been in love, like totally ...

i havent ever and its getting to me Usually i feel like the whore in the relationship coz all these guys r in "love" with me apparantly.. (Whore--not intended literally) **** i am starting to feel like i am in the wrong to just mess with all these guys :eek:

So do the blokes on here just mess around or u in a serious rel?
    I will NEVER mess a girl about and will always treat them with respect.

Nice avatar btw

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.