Disadvantages of being a girl? Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzidicArcturus)
    not having the right to show their nipples in public
    That's probably for the best. You know what men are like. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Funny how the disadvantages thread is much longer than the advantages thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabana)
    Men getting too attached to you at work when you're like we're just friends
    Likely to be paid lower than a man for same job
    (Original post by cbreef)
    That's actually not true. If it was companies would just only hire women. However, there is a total earnings gap, which is something different.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer15)
    Having interviews with male managers who ask if you're planning on having children soon (seriously) even though that's not supposed to be asked.
    Imagine if a guy walked into a interview and said "I'm going to take 52 weeks off work in about 6-12 months time, due to lifestyle choices and you're going to have to pay for it"...... would you hire them?

When I worked in a call centre it was incredibly common for young girls to work somewhere for 4-6 months, get pregnant, go on maternity leave, get their 39 weeks maternity pay and then never come back to work.

I do think maternity pay should be a thing, but expecting the employer to foot the bill with minimal investment in the employee is extremely wrong in my honest opinion.

(Original post by Summer15)
    Being told that the world has changed and now women can be financially independent but still getting paid less than your male colleagues and not being able to afford to live comfortably like your female friends who don't work but who had children and moved in with a man.
    Women under the age of 40 on average earn more than men..... unless they have children..... and that's unless you compare them to men who have children and care for them as stay at home dads.

It's not gender that effects this, it's the conscious decision to leave the workplace and then stay at home to care for children. Don't blame employers. You don't generally see stay at home dads complain about their lowered pay in comparison to co-workers after they re-enter the workplace.

And most men I know can't live comfortably by themselves either. I sure as hell can't.

ReputationRep:
    periods and the stigma around them
    males who stare/perv/catcall/whatever
    nipples and the stigma around them
    feeling weaker than men and having to be cautious a lot
    expected to have children and people assume youll change your mind when youre older

ReputationRep:
    Also the BBC will pay you less than Huw Edwards when you not only present the news but the antiques road show as well.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Imagine if a guy walked into a interview and said "I'm going to take 52 weeks off work in about 6-12 months time, due to lifestyle choices and you're going to have to pay for it"...... would you hire them?

When I worked in a call centre it was incredibly common for young girls to work somewhere for 4-6 months, get pregnant, go on maternity leave, get their 39 weeks maternity pay and then never come back to work.

I do think maternity pay should be a thing, but expecting the employer to foot the bill with minimal investment in the employee is extremely wrong in my honest opinion.

Women under the age of 40 on average earn more than men..... unless they have children..... and that's unless you compare them to men who have children and care for them as stay at home dads.

It's not gender that effects this, it's the conscious decision to leave the workplace and then stay at home to care for children. Don't blame employers. You don't generally see stay at home dads complain about their lowered pay in comparison to co-workers after they re-enter the workplace.

And most men I know can't live comfortably by themselves either. I sure as hell can't.
    Employers don't foot the bill for maternity leave unless they offer above the statuatory amount (unlikely in a call centre) and if they do offer above statuatory amount then there's normally a clause about minimum time in employment before and after the leave to be eligible. I have known women stay in jobs after maternity leave where they were being bullied horribly by their boss because they couldn't afford to repay the maternity pay above the statutory pay (that employers are refunded for by the government).

ReputationRep:
    TheAlchemistress unless you are trained to a very high level in some sort of martial art, i'm sorry but the vast majority of males will physically be able to own you in a physical altercation

I saw something like that a few weeks ago when some 14 year old girl accused a man in his 50's of pushing her, and they were insulting each other a bit, then about 20 seconds later she comes up behind him when he's not looking and starts grabbing on his hair trying to manhandle him, the guy soon got the better of her, overpowered her and flung her to the floor ...she then ran away angry and told all her other mates and a gang of about 20 teenagers went searching for him. They didn't find him though....

as for disadvantages of being a woman:

low strength
    have to give birth
    biological clocking ticking and eggs running out
    those with large breasts may find them annoying or that it slows them down running

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    TheAlchemistress unless you are trained to a very high level in some sort of martial art, i'm sorry but the vast majority of males will physically be able to own you in a physical altercation

I saw something like that a few weeks ago when some 14 year old girl accused a man in his 50's of pushing her, and they were insulting each other a bit, then about 20 seconds later she comes up behind him when he's not looking and starts grabbing on his hair trying to manhandle him, the guy soon got the better of her, overpowered her and flung her to the floor ...she then ran away angry and told all her other mates and a gang of about 20 teenagers went searching for him. They didn't find him though....

as for disadvantages of being a woman:

low strength
    have to give birth
    biological clocking ticking and eggs running out
    those with large breasts may find them annoying or that it slows them down running
    I appreciate your concern for me, but I don't think you have met me.

qasim_96

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    I appreciate your concern for me, but I don't think you have met me.

qasim_96
    Are you trained in martial arts? Sh*t. You're gonna end up beating me to death instead of using that rolling pin :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim_96)
    Are you trained in martial arts? Sh*t. You're gonna end up beating me to death instead of using that rolling pin :lol:
    😂😂 Am not the person you're getting married to though. 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thealchemistress)
    😂😂 am not the person you're getting married to though. 😂
    praise the lord. Rolling pin it is then 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    People expecting to be thanked when they call you "lady" instead of girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Employers don't foot the bill for maternity leave unless they offer above the statuatory amount (unlikely in a call centre) and if they do offer above statuatory amount then there's normally a clause about minimum time in employment before and after the leave to be eligible. I have known women stay in jobs after maternity leave where they were being bullied horribly by their boss because they couldn't afford to repay the maternity pay above the statutory pay (that employers are refunded for by the government).
    92% unless they're a small business. Which if you think they now have to also hire another person to pick up the slack.... yeah not cheap.

Minimum time in employment clauses... are they even legal? 26 weeks is the common time period stated which is what the government puts the timescale as. Plus most employers I've worked for stick to that 26 week timescale (I had one offer it to someone who had worked there for only 2 months).

And there's no need to repay maternity pay... unless they've been stupid enough not to read the small print for contractual maternity pay which they don't have to accept and can stick with statutory. Normally the repayment clause is to stop women leaving jobs after receiving enhanced maternity pay, which is quite legitimate imho.

ReputationRep:
    praise the lord. Rolling pin it is then 😂😂😂
    It's a rolling pin, trust me it's better. 😂

ReputationRep:
    It's is a rolling pin, trust me it's better. 😂
    Better until you get turned into a round roti from all those beats 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    boys going all weird when a girl does something they don't expect independently. whereas the bizarre is expected of boys. over sexualisation and romanticization of girlhood. over sexualisation of things, i find funny. girl solidarity sometimes seeming so softened. the majority of the female artists/writers i admire either don't have kids or their career struggled due to having kids.

ReputationRep:
    Better until you get turned into a round roti from all those beats 😂😂
    😂😂😂
    You will become a roti. Then she might eat you with vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    😂😂😂
    You will become a roti. Then she might eat you with vegetables.
    With that dhal 😂

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.