Dhal chawal. 😂😂
    She might invite me to dinner
    Oh so you're gonna eat me too? :unimpressed:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    92% unless they're a small business. Which if you think they now have to also hire another person to pick up the slack.... yeah not cheap.

Minimum time in employment clauses... are they even legal? 26 weeks is the common time period stated which is what the government puts the timescale as. Plus most employers I've worked for stick to that 26 week timescale (I had one offer it to someone who had worked there for only 2 months).

And there's no need to repay maternity pay... unless they've been stupid enough not to read the small print for contractual maternity pay which they don't have to accept and can stick with statutory. Normally the repayment clause is to stop women leaving jobs after receiving enhanced maternity pay, which is quite legitimate imho.
    Yes - they can reclaim 92% of the SMP back (or 103% for small businesses). Acting like paying 8% of someone's pay for 6 months is going to bankrupt you (or constitutes "footing the bill") when you're retaining a trained member of staff is ridiculous. If you didn't pay SMP then you'd STILL have to cover the recruitment and training costs. Still no reason to illegally ask questions about someone's plans for a family or to discriminate against women (especially now shared parental leave is a legal requirement so fathers can take months off too)

For additional benefits above the SMP minimums it's perfectly legal to have a minimum time for eligibility and a minimum time after returning within a contract. That's something an employer CHOOSES to offer and that they can reclaim if (as the person I replied to implied) people were choosing not to return from maternity leave.

Nice job on explaining my own post to me though while failing to read the (incorrect) man I was replying to. Always nice when men perpetuate the mansplaining stereotype. You missed out the opening "Well, actually" phrase though :nope:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim_96)
    Oh so you're gonna eat me too? :unimpressed:
    Calm down, am joking 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    Calm down, am joking 😂
    I was gonna say. it'll be the worst thing you ever taste 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna say. it'll be the worst thing you ever taste 😂😂
    Your so mean to yourself. 😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yes - they can reclaim 92% of the SMP back (or 103% for small businesses). Acting like paying 8% of someone's pay for 6 months is going to bankrupt you when you're retaining a trained member of staff is ridiculous. If you didn't pay SMP then you'd STILL have to cover the recruitment and training costs. Still no reason to illegally ask questions about someone's plans for a family or to discriminate against women (especially now shared parental leave is a legal requirement so fathers can take months off too)

For additional benefits above the SMP minimums it's perfectly legal to have a minimum time for eligibility and a minimum time after returning within a contract. That's something an employer CHOOSES to offer and that they can reclaim if (as the person I replied to implied) people were choosing not to return from maternity leave.
    Right... so instead of not having someone go on maternity leave....

You now have to pay 8% of someones wage, another person to replace them and also experience low productivity while they A) Train the replacement and B)When the individual returns after work. Wow really giving employers encouragement there aren't you!

And if you get additional benefits, why shouldn't a company ask you repay it if you do a runner?

I'm not against maternity pay, just think there should be bigger safeguards for employers and probably increase the minimum time to be eligible for maternity pay to something like 18 months or two years.

ReputationRep:
    Your so mean to yourself. 😅
    Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  DJ KHALED.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  68.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  DJ KHALED.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  68.2 KB

I had that meme last week but different. 😂😂😂

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4841290&page=4

Post #71

ReputationRep:
    I had that meme last week but different. 😂😂😂

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4841290&page=4

Post #71
    You smart. You loyal. You grapefruit. He's a meme now 😂

ReputationRep:
    You smart. You loyal. You grapefruit. He's a meme now 😂
    😂😂😂
    Not into memes though, more YouTube.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Right... so instead of not having someone go on maternity leave....

You now have to pay 8% of someones wage, another person to replace them and also experience low productivity while they A) Train the replacement and B)When the individual returns after work. Wow really giving employers encouragement there aren't you!

And if you get additional benefits, why shouldn't a company ask you repay it if you do a runner?

I'm not against maternity pay, just think there should be bigger safeguards for employers and probably increase the minimum time to be eligible for maternity pay to something like 18 months or two years.
    FFS

Just read the post I was REPLYING to that stated that employers "foot the cost" of maternity and that women would work in a job for 3 months, go on maternity and never come back and that the empliyer would "foot the bill".

Mansplain maternity leave to the man who doesn't understand it not to the woman who corrected him :rolleyes:

You really think paying an employee £11.28 a week for their maternity leave in order to retain a trained employee is a disincentive to employers (or for small employers actually get PAID £4,23 a week to retain them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer15)
    Generally just living in a society where female rape, assault, and murder are still common

paid less than your male colleagues
    Overdoing it a bit

ReputationRep:
    😂😂😂
    Not into memes though, more YouTube.
    You're missing out on some banter 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    You're missing out on some banter 😂😂
    I guess so, but YouTube fills it up for me.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Overdoing it a bit
    "19.6 per cent of females had been a victim of a sexual offence since the age of 16, compared with 2.7 per cent of males (Table 2.6)"
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...w-jan-2013.pdf
    Page 18

Know 5 women? Chances are 1 of them has been raped or sexually assaulted in adulthood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    "19.6 per cent of females had been a victim of a sexual offence since the age of 16, compared with 2.7 per cent of males (Table 2.6)"
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...w-jan-2013.pdf
    Page 18

Know 5 women? Chances are 1 of them has been raped or sexually assaulted in adulthood.
    I was referring to murder being common.

On top of that, do those figures include rape in the army and prisons which are often unreported. On top of that, I doubt many men will come forward if raped due to the stigma around it.

Not everything is so black and white

ReputationRep:
    Another disadvantage of being a girl which I forgot ... is fighting like a girl

ReputationRep:
    I have too much feelings sadly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.