Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Disadvantages of being a girl? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    when u get all glammed up for a night out n meet your friends on the train but u gotta walk to the train first in ur skirt n heels n boobs looking goOOod but you're extremely self conscious of how "sluttty" you look. I feel like it was my fault walking past a bar with men outside (plenty w wedding rings on) who kept wolf whisteling n calling out- jfc cat-calling isn't manly in the slightest, it just makes you look utterly pathetic.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Oh boy... literally me right now:

- Periods
    - Childbirth
    - Gender pay gap (though I think that is slowly changing?)
    - Having to be careful walking the streets at night alone (or even with other female friends)
    - Women are seen as being weaker than men

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think off the top of my head :^_^:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    I was referring to murder being common.

On top of that, do those figures include rape in the army and prisons which are often unreported. On top of that, I doubt many men will come forward if raped due to the stigma around it.

Not everything is so black and white
    Those statistics are based on the CSEW - a survey of a statistically stratified sample of people who are asked to confidentially (the sexual assault section is filled in by respondents directly and not by the interviewer) to disclose their experiences of crime.

So yes those figures would include prisoners and military men who may not have reported their assaults.

ReputationRep:
    Mind if I create the same thread but for boys?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwaway740)
    Mind if I create the same thread but for boys?
    The OP did (well they created it for "Men" )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    FFS

Just read the post I was REPLYING to that stated that employers "foot the cost" of maternity and that women would work in a job for 3 months, go on maternity and never come back and that the employer would "foot the bill".

Mansplain maternity leave to the man who doesn't understand it not to the woman who corrected him :rolleyes:

You really think paying an employee £11.28 a week for their maternity leave in order to retain a trained employee is a disincentive to employers (or for small employers actually get PAID £4,23 a week to retain them).
    Because my gender is completely relevant to the conversation....

What I think is the fact an employee can go on maternity leave, be paid by both the state (bad enough) and partially by employer, who then has to effectively foot that cost by having to hire a new employee to cover them. By the time the woman comes back to work that temporary replacement may even be more experienced or spent more time in the job than the original employee!

Nobody cares about women going on maternity leave when the woman involved has actually spent a decent amount of time at the company and shown their intention to stay.

ReputationRep:
    Being told you can't do certain things because you're a girl, have it hammered into you during school that a career should come first but then when you start a career everyone tells you to have kids, ****boys
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Because my gender is completely relevant to the conversation....

What I think is the fact an employee can go on maternity leave, be paid by both the state (bad enough) and partially by employer, who then has to effectively foot that cost by having to hire a new employee to cover them. By the time the woman comes back to work that temporary replacement may even be more experienced or spent more time in the job than the original employee!

Nobody cares about women going on maternity leave when the woman involved has actually spent a decent amount of time at the company and shown their intention to stay.
    Why are you continuing to explain (poorly) something that I demonstrably understand?

If you don't want your gender to come into it then stop explaining something to a woman that a)I have already explained I understand and b) I have not expressed any interest in being lectured on and c) you're demonstrably NOT an expert in.

If your gender isn't relevant then why are you lecturing me about something I understand and not correcting the man who doesn't understand it (who my original maternity leave post was replying to).

Your unsolicited lecture wasn't warrented in the first place and isn't welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    I know right?
    JordLndr someone actually reported this post 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    Your one too!? Haha I got a message from TSR too, they had to review my one saying about terrible taste in music 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordLndr)
    Your one?
    Yeah, saying that I agree that some girls have terrible taste in music 😂😂

The one I quoted

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, saying that I agree that some girls have terrible taste in music 😂😂

The one I quoted
    Yeah, read what I posted above, I edited it to save time 😂

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, read what I posted above, I edited it to save time 😂
    What a joke though. Someone obviously has terrible taste in TSR users 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    What a joke though. Someone obviously has terrible taste in TSR users 😂😂
    Lmao yep, but the best part is to come..

The post got approved 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    Lmao yep, but the best part is to come..

The post got approved 😂😂
    Mods saw the light. 😂😂

There's a fight going on on the other thread 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    Mods saw the light. 😂😂

There's a fight going on on the other thread 😂😂😂
    Ik 😂😂 too much bants in that other thread, Ima have to go and inspect

ReputationRep:
    I was so confused 😂

ReputationRep:
    Ik 😂😂 too much bants in that other thread, Ima have to go and inspect
    Same. Let me just get my 🍿

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryanthom100)
    I was so confused 😂
    Why were you confused?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer15)
    Not being able to walk alone past dark by yourself (from work)...or even get a cab. Generally just living in a society where female rape, assault, and murder are still common and not feeling like you can defend yourself because apparently pepper spray is against a rapist's human rights in the UK.

Having interviews with male managers who ask if you're planning on having children soon (seriously) even though that's not supposed to be asked.

Not being comfortable wearing a modest dress in hot weather in certain parts of the UK due to leering.

Being expected to have children by 35 otherwise there must be something wrong with you.

Being told that the world has changed and now women can be financially independent but still getting paid less than your male colleagues and not being able to afford to live comfortably like your female friends who don't work but who had children and moved in with a man.

Periods are the least of our ****ing worries, seriously.
    This doesn't work that way. You will be paid the same if you reach the same level of expertise as males. Do you know any two people doing the same work at the same level and getting paid different amounts? people really need 2 read the literature on gender pay before they mouth on about it. It's about lifetime earnings (not your wage at 22 or 24) and usually concerns women who're married or were married in the past(the explanation is that women who're married do the lions share of work at home which means they take less responsibilities at work).

Women who have never married earn as much as men if not more in many examples.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.