Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Disadvantages of being a girl? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    wait wot? I thought that I post a lot. How much is a lot?
    Also, I haven't helped anyone out more recently, probably after I had my last exam. Oops
    Greater than 7 posts per day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer15)
    Stopped reading right here. I don't have children (late 20's) and do not intend to. The problem, which seems to have gone completely over your head, is people like yourself who assume women intend/want to have children. I would hire someone based on their ability to do the job, not on the presence of ovaries or testicles.
    It's only assuming if you just simply presume any women would take time off.

What I am opposed to however is banning people asking "are you planning on having children in the next 12-18 months?"..... it's just common sense in my honest opinion that employers wouldn't want to hire someone who is going to go on maternity 'or' paternity leave shortly after joining the company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Greater than 7 posts per day.
    swear I've done like 7 posts just in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Why are you continuing to explain (poorly) something that I demonstrably understand?

If you don't want your gender to come into it then stop explaining something to a woman that a)I have already explained I understand and b) I have not expressed any interest in being lectured on and c) you're demonstrably NOT an expert in.

If your gender isn't relevant then why are you lecturing me about something I understand and not correcting the man who doesn't understand it (who my original maternity leave post was replying to).

Your unsolicited lecture wasn't warrented in the first place and isn't welcome. You're embarrassing yourself and your gender and perpetuating the stereotype of mansplaining.
    And you're also perpetuating the stereotype that women think that men A) Can't understand gender politics or B) Have no right to dispute these theoretical ideas with women.

And what did I say that was so wrong? :hi:

You've tried stating how I was wrong and I simply countered your points that I don't agree with your analysis and I actually DO indeed understand how maternity pay works. I was simply highlighting how I did not agree with Summer's statement nor your own.

Instead you fall back on name calling and gender based stereotypes why not simply discuss the issue with at least a ounce of respect.

However due to your inability to have a civil discussion with someone who's opinion differs from your own, I could just go and label yourself as an intolerant feminist who simply can't fathom, that someone with a penis between their legs is allowed to be involved in this discussion.

But wait that would embarrass my gender wouldn't it? I think you need to have a good hard look in the mirror.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    mansplaining
    These days I can't tell if this word is being used ironically or not.

ReputationRep:
    Women love to feel sorry for themselves

like its illegal to pay men and women differently...

but nooooooooooooooooo

EvErI sUxS cOz Im A WHAMEN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Imagine if a guy walked into a interview and said "I'm going to take 52 weeks off work in about 6-12 months time, due to lifestyle choices and you're going to have to pay for it"...... would you hire them?
    thankyou

thankyou

thankyou

thankyou

thankyou

thankyou

thankyou

thankyou

thankyou

thankyou

even if 1% of the salary is being paid, why the hell should the employer choose them over a male alternative that won't vanish for any period of time.

Assuming the male and female are equally qualified and useful

ReputationRep:
    There's certain places you don't go as a lone female, for instance id love to go travelling on my own but in certain countries I just wouldn't feel safe.

The biological clock, and the fact that society sees women over 35 as "Past it" whereas men seemingly get more desirable with age (up to a point).

Periods, hormones and childbirth.

Everything else is cool I love being a girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Mansplain maternity leave to the man who doesn't understand it not to the woman who corrected him :rolleyes:
    Imagine using this phrase with any other demographic. "Blacksplaining".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You're embarrassing yourself and your race and perpetuating the stereotype of blacksplaining.
    What a racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordLndr)
    If the artist is "good looking" they don't care what he sounds like. Kinda defeats the point in music though?
    Pretty sure the vast majority of the K-pop fandom are guilty of this, no?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    X
    My apologies. I thought you were a different poster to the person stating that women can claim SMP after 3 months in work and that employers "foot the bill".

Your first post demonstrated that you don't understand SMP.

You've carried on implying that £11 a week is unaffordable for large businesses to retain a trained member of staff (or a payment FROM hmrc of £4 pw to employers who are small businesses).

You continually use this to justify employers Illegally asking women about their plans for a family. As if having a baby is the only risk factor for a company losing trained staff and as if SPL doesn't mean it's a risk for ALL employees not just women.

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    What a racist.
    You've got the term backwards http://www.dictionary.com/browse/whitesplain

Someone who has demonstrated poor understanding of SMP lectures me on how it works AFTER I've pointed out their errors and misleading statements is something I should just smile sweetly and tolerate and not point out how rude it is.

I dearly wish men would stop unsolicited lecturing on topics that they aren't experts on and that I've demonstrated an understanding of.

ReputationRep:
    Having to deal with macho behavior and lots of men expecting you to accept it, but at the same time being seen as a "frustrated femen" if you defend gender equality, or simply if you're happy about women empowerment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryanthom100)
    Go ahead list em.
    Having to give birth. It's a matter of life and death!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsMars)
    Amen sister!
    Or worse, when they say "you're not like other girls"
    :facepalm::facepalm:
    WHAT do they actually mean when they say that??
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AQuestion1)
    WHAT do they actually mean when they say that??
    I actually have no ****ing idea :dontknow:

Like other girls are **** but you're not?
    I think?
    Like it's meant to be flattering that he's cussing other girls?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.