Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just done my first year at Southampton University studying English Literature, and I really don't like the subject. I can't get it out of my head how boring the subject is to me, and how pointless it feels studying it! I have taken a couple of optional modules in Geography alongside my degree, and at the start of the year I was switching between the two subjects but eventually settled with English because it felt easier at the time. That was a mistake!! I really want to change to study Physical Geography, but the university have said they can't make that change because they upped the grade boundaries since last year which I no longer meet. I was considering changing unis, and was looking at Reading, but the course wasn't really in the areas I was interested in and I have now missed applying before clearing anyway. I don't want to end up applying to another uni and ending up in student housing in my first year, and I really enjoy the university I am at! I just really don't like the course I am taking and I am worried about the effects it might have on my health. I was going to wait till clearing to see if they drop their grades enough to accept a transfer, however has anyone else got any advice on what to do? Really stressed about this all aha, it's driving me a bit mad!!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by amybonnie98)
    I have just done my first year at Southampton University studying English Literature, and I really don't like the subject. I can't get it out of my head how boring the subject is to me, and how pointless it feels studying it! I have taken a couple of optional modules in Geography alongside my degree, and at the start of the year I was switching between the two subjects but eventually settled with English because it felt easier at the time. That was a mistake!! I really want to change to study Physical Geography, but the university have said they can't make that change because they upped the grade boundaries since last year which I no longer meet. I was considering changing unis, and was looking at Reading, but the course wasn't really in the areas I was interested in and I have now missed applying before clearing anyway. I don't want to end up applying to another uni and ending up in student housing in my first year, and I really enjoy the university I am at! I just really don't like the course I am taking and I am worried about the effects it might have on my health. I was going to wait till clearing to see if they drop their grades enough to accept a transfer, however has anyone else got any advice on what to do? Really stressed about this all aha, it's driving me a bit mad!!
    That jumps all over the place. Its like one long sentence.

If it were me then id just try and build some rapport with the course organiser.

You said you did some geog modules? Did you do well and will any of those lecturers support you. Its harder if you were only average or the grades are considerably higher than what you have.

Find out if there are any additional things you can do to show your interest?
    Maybe an extra bit of coursework?

Clearing is already open if you know your grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amybonnie98)
    I have just done my first year at Southampton University studying English Literature, and I really don't like the subject.
    Screw grade boundaries. Studying something you're passionate about can make a huge difference in attainment (I'm an example of this, going from 2:2 standard to a really strong first). Be persistent with them. Find someone in the department to talk to and maybe even advocate for you, like tiger said.

Whatever you do, I strongly advise that you don't do something you hate. If you can't do anything this year, go and work for a year or two and then reapply. Admin work can give you great organisation skills. You'll also get the time to explore your interests , read, join organisations and clubs, do online courses (maybe coursera?), go on physical geography related trips. Stuff you can put on you personal statement that might make admissions officers decide to be more lenient about grade requirements in your case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.