How do you have a great summer on a budget? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:

:flower2: SUMMER* IS HERE! :flower2:

Spoiler:
    Show

*if you don't look outside at the rain

When the sun's shining and there's a distinct spell of BBQ in the air, it's hard not to get FOMO-ey if you're not getting outside everyday and doing stuff.

But when you're skint and/or on a student budget, it can be challenging to find interesting things to do for cheap (or, even better, FOR FREE!)
    So - do you have any tips on how to have a great summer on a budget?

How creative do you get to keep yourself busy with little money?

ReputationRep:
    You don't.

ReputationRep:
    TSR
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Stand in the garden.

And if you live in a flat, just imagine you have a garden.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of free events all over the place in the summer. So far I've done/am doing a dog training class, a 1940s weekend event, and a food festival. Check out trip advisor for the top sights where you live. Many are free to see, and it's so easy to forget the things that are right under your nose. Keep an eye on websites like hotukdeals to see deals and vouchers for tickets. There's loads around summer time. Not everything has to cost an arm and a leg, you just have to be imaginative!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Stand in the garden.

And if you live in a flat, just imagine you have a garden.
    Make a garden in the middle of your flat.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my housemates get all our friends round for beer/wine/juice pong and turn it into a competition.
    Possible to do this for free if you have the following items! A table, a ping pong ball, some cups and a liquid!

ReputationRep:
    Netflix and work for me mostly

ReputationRep:
    you don't.

great british summer? LOL! nice one.
    even if you had money, most people would spend it desperately flying away somewhere warmer and distant

ReputationRep:
    😂😂 British summer ey 😩
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I love making some food at home and heading to the beach (or park) with my friends. Can blast some tunes and chill.

ReputationRep:
    it might be a bit late now but theres loads of free summer schools around and they tend to be pretty amazing from my experience, there's also residentials like nsc that are worth the money

ReputationRep:
    also if you live in/around central london theres no excuse considering how much free things there is to do and see, just have a quick google search to see what you enjoy

ReputationRep:
    Ryanair + hostels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    you don't.
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    You don't.
    This.

(Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    Ryanair + hostels
    Not this. Hostel=great summer?

ReputationRep:
    Not this. Hostel=great summer?
    Not for everyone, but I'm sure anyone who's backpacked will attest that you can have a fantastic time in hostels. I've made friends for life staying in hostels.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    This. Not this. Hostel=great summer?
    I've stayed in hostels almost every time I've been away with friends, and the majority were amazing value for money.

Others... not so much, but it's still always a fun experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    I've stayed in hostels almost every time I've been away with friends, and the majority were amazing value for money.

Others... not so much, but it's still always a fun experience!
    Personally, I don't understand why people spend so much on hotels. For me, the point of travel is the place and the people. I don't need a luxury room because if I'm spending enough time in my room to enjoy it then I may as well have stayed at home.

If you travel alone a hostel is perfect, it's so easy to make friends. And if you are partnered up then most hostels still have private rooms, but having the communal area still opens you up to more interesting people than in a hotel.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    Personally, I don't understand why people spend so much on hotels. For me, the point of travel is the place and the people. I don't need a luxury room because if I'm spending enough time in my room to enjoy it then I may as well have stayed at home.

If you travel alone a hostel is perfect, it's so easy to make friends. And if you are partnered up then most hostels still have private rooms, but having the communal area still opens you up to more interesting people than in a hotel.
    ::Weird Question Alert:: How do you even make friends with other people at hostels? Do you just start talking to people and hope that they want to hang out with you too? Baffled.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.