Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

As a Muslim I feel we have not contributed anything positive to the world Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Particularly in recent times. It's truly disheartening. All I see is negativity everywhere. Terrorism, groups like ISIS, al Qaeda, taliban etc, misogyny, poverty, weakness in military, backwardness, lack of education, honour killings, FGM, treating women as second class citizens, no prosperity or progress. We keep talking about being peaceful yet we kill each other every single day. Different sects of Muslims despise eachother and we expect ourselves to get on with non Muslims and for them to like us? To add to that, south Asian Muslims in Arab countries are treated like filth.

We have no innovation, inventions, ideas, creativity and have made no real contribution to the world technologically or scientifically even politically in a long long time. Some may argue same could be said of Hindus etc. But Hindus are mostly concentrated into one country. And in the West, at least they have a great image and seen as much more positively.

The only nice Muslim countries are the ones that got lucky sat on oil. Even then , we needed the West help to extract oil. It's depressing to say the least.

Yet we sit back and tell the world how great and amazing Muslims are and expect to be taken seriously.
    are you kidding? arabs were the world leaders in maths and medicine! watch "science and islam", a 3 part BBC documentary.

anyway, you are you.. you are not responsible for the actions of others, good or bad. just like i, as a white person, am not responsible for isaac newton's work nor the slave trade.

ReputationRep:
    what's with all the posts of hate on Islam? fair enough, you may see Islam being presented on media as a religion of violence; but you don't see what Muslims do behind the camera. Helping the poor, helping the elderly etc.

ReputationRep:
    Particularly in recent times. It's truly disheartening. All I see is negativity everywhere. Terrorism, groups like ISIS, al Qaeda, taliban etc, misogyny, poverty, weakness in military, backwardness, lack of education, honour killings, FGM, treating women as second class citizens, no prosperity or progress. We keep talking about being peaceful yet we kill each other every single day. Different sects of Muslims despise eachother and we expect ourselves to get on with non Muslims and for them to like us? To add to that, south Asian Muslims in Arab countries are treated like filth.

We have no innovation, inventions, ideas, creativity and have made no real contribution to the world technologically or scientifically even politically in a long long time. Some may argue same could be said of Hindus etc. But Hindus are mostly concentrated into one country. And in the West, at least they have a great image and seen as much more positively.

The only nice Muslim countries are the ones that got lucky sat on oil. Even then , we needed the West help to extract oil. It's depressing to say the least.

Yet we sit back and tell the world how great and amazing Muslims are and expect to be taken seriously.
    You don't need awards or international recognition to contribute to society positively. Would you say that doctors have not contributed anything to society just because you don't see them saving lives in the news? Yes there is a lot of negative news about Muslims and Islam but if you consider that there is over 1 billion Muslims, there are a lot of Muslims who do contribute to society positively but it is not what sells newspapers. The same is for Hindus, Christians, Jews and anyone who believes in any religion (or don't believe in religion). There are bad people everywhere, Muslim or not, but the amount of good people outweigh those bad people. Furthermore, there are a lot of people who are Muslim but don't feel the need to shout about it from the rooftops because people shouldn't be identified by what religion they follow or the things that other people who claim to follow the same religion do but rather by their own actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butfirst_coffee)
    Im just here to twerk
    In my face preferably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Anyway seeing as all of modern mathematics (and hence, modern engineering and science) is underpinned by work done by Arabic and frequently Islamic scholars I think it's a moot point.
    Sorry, the Greeks, Chinese, Indians, Egyptians, babylonians, and many Europeans have a lot to say about that. And yes, I am talking about before the islamic golden age.

well, tbh
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    As a active TSR member I feel you are putting way too much effort into **** posting.

Actually Babylon created algebra.
    Nope. The study of algebra flourished during the Islamic Golden Age under the scholarship of mathematician al-Khwarizmi. The word algebra is derived from ‘al-jabr’, an operation he used to solve quadratic equations. The introduction of algebra as a unifying theory significantly broadened the concept of mathematics and its development path.

ReputationRep:
    As a active TSR member I feel you are putting way too much effort into **** posting.

Nope.

ReputationRep:

The study of algebra flourished during the Islamic Golden Age under the scholarship of mathematician al-Khwarizmi. The word algebra is derived from ‘al-jabr’, an operation he used to solve quadratic equations. The introduction of algebra as a unifying theory significantly broadened the concept of mathematics and its development path.

ReputationRep:
    gr8 b8 m8
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoda13)
    The study of algebra flourished during the Islamic Golden Age under the scholarship of mathematician al-Khwarizmi. The word algebra is derived from ‘al-jabr’, an operation he used to solve quadratic equations. The introduction of algebra as a unifying theory significantly broadened the concept of mathematics and its development path.
    And it was still created by Babylon.

ReputationRep:

OP isn't Muslim. I doubt that it's not a non-Muslim needing to hide behind the anon feature so their opinion can seem valid. The examples you mention are to do with the cultural traditions and issues to do with those countries. And, addressing poverty - The European Renaissance begat great curiosity and invention that in turn made colonialism possible. After European countries colonized much of the world, they gained big advantages. One was establishment of financial systems and legal systems promoting rapid growth -- expansion. Those came handy exploiting fossil energy and waves of invention that constitute the industrial revolution. The colonised areas were crippled and drained of their prosperity. Poverty causes anger towards the government/leadership. There are protests, riots, civil wars. Extremist groups are born with the interests of overthrowing the government. And weaker governments and unrest means progress is halted. Poverty worsens and it becomes a humanitarian crisis. It's a vicious circle.. but these are only a handful of countries that have had issues snowball and cause more issues. You simply cannot generalise like that.

ReputationRep:
    And it was still created by Babylon.
    I said 'flourished'. 'Flourished' and 'created' aren't interchangeable synonyms.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoda13)
    I said 'flourished'. 'Flourished' and 'created' aren't interchangeable synonyms.
    So why bother quoting me in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    No need to lie.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Sorry, the Greeks, Chinese, Indians, Egyptians, babylonians, and many Europeans have a lot to say about that. And yes, I am talking about before the islamic golden age.
    A L G E B R A I S M O R E F U N D A M E N T A L

I spelled it out for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    A L G E B R A I S M O R E F U N D A M E N T A L

I spelled it out for you.
    More than what?

The very notion of algebra was well underpinned before the persians by the greeks and the babylonians. The idea of analytical geometry that we use in algebra today was done by the french. Abstract algebra is mostly european. Abstract number theory is mostly Greek and european too.

But to say that all of modern mathematics today is underpinned by the islamic scholars is disrespectful to the thousands of mathematicians from other cultures and times who spent their whole lives developing mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Unless Islam is specifically responsible, I don't see how it matters.

For instance

"For someone who really like the colour blue, I don't think we've contributed anything to world".

In other words, correlation /=/ causation, unless you can argue otherwise.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss.Unknow)
    No no no, when it comes to Islam, OP made it sound like all Muslims are uneducated, so i just corrected him.
    That's the thing, when people judge you, they judge you on your religion, so it does have a lot to do with it actually. and fyi Islam does encourage people to be educated. i am not here to argue what religion says, i am just here to defend the fact that there are millions and millions of educated Muslims, just like Christians or any other religious group. And it shouldn't have anything to do with religion in the first place, you should be judged individually on your actions, but people don't really follow that principle.
    That's your opinion, not a fact. People have the right to follow whatever religion they want. Who are you to say that their religion has nothing 'positive'? You only say that cause you just look at the negative aspects of each religion and not the many positive contributions.
    Just saying but the OP is trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    From the bottom of my heart, that is ****ing amazing given everything.
    ...and then america just goes and take a massive dump on them by not letting them in their country -__-

(Original post by TheBBQ)
    More than what?

The very notion of algebra was well underpinned before the persians by the greeks and the babylonians. The idea of analytical geometry that we use in algebra today was done by the french. Abstract algebra is mostly european. Abstract number theory is mostly Greek and european too.

But to say that all of modern mathematics today is underpinned by the islamic scholars is disrespectful to the thousands of mathematicians from other cultures and times who spent their whole lives developing mathematics.
    There was no such thing as a "french" back when algebra was invented.

I feel like we have but it was a very long time ago. You know what bothers me, if a muslim is modest then they're seen as backwards. If a non muslim does it then they are respected. That's just one of the things that bother me.

But I wish more Muslims would contribute to the film industry in some way. The only thing you ever see to do with Muslims is terrorism or forced marriages- or the odd doctor/nurse.
    Muslim actors particularly female actresses are criticised by other Muslim for being in a movie e.g. The way she dresses, love scenes etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.