Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your blood type? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    What do you mean by "thin"?

I'm A+ :smartass: Not allowed to give blood though have in the past.
    I'm not entirely sure... but I think its how quick my blood flows round my body? So for myself, if I had an accident I would bleed out very quickly because my blood is thin. I'm more likely to bruise and draw blood from a cut. As my blood is thin I'm also less likely to get a blood clot.

My girlfriend's dad, however, has thick blood and is more likely to get a blood clot - but if in an accident it would take significantly longer for him to bleed out. He isn't even allowed to give blood because it simply takes too long to extract the blood.

I may be completely wrong there, but this is what I've been told and a quick google check has told me

(Original post by Pepsi_Max)
    No idea. I want to give blood but I'm terrified of needles.
    I understand your fear of needles, but honestly when it was inserted into my arm it felt like a scratch - it was a weird sensation! But it only lasted for literally a second

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    I understand your fear of needles, but honestly when it was inserted into my arm it felt like a scratch - it was a weird sensation! But it only lasted for literally a second
    It's not even the pain that scares me, it's the thought of something piercing my skin. It just creeps me out a bit 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    O+ - The most common one

I really want to give blood but my weight is below the minimum needed so as to be allowed to give it.

I love needles (I don't even comprehend why)! It was said that I have 'baby veins', so for a blood test, they had to poke it in 8 times (in different places too) to draw out blood. I was just laughing/grinning/smug the whole time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    I'm not entirely sure... but I think its how quick my blood flows round my body? So for myself, if I had an accident I would bleed out very quickly because my blood is thin. I'm more likely to bruise and draw blood from a cut. As my blood is thin I'm also less likely to get a blood clot.

My girlfriend's dad, however, has thick blood and is more likely to get a blood clot - but if in an accident it would take significantly longer for him to bleed out. He isn't even allowed to give blood because it simply takes too long to extract the blood.

I may be completely wrong there, but this is what I've been told and a quick google check has told me
    Oh so basically the amount of clotting factor/platelets? Never heard it called thin/thick blood.....but I guess it makes sense. Your girlfriend's dad might be on daily aspirin to avoid blood clots. I have hemophilia so if I get a cut I bleed a lot hence why I'm not allowed to give blood.

Are you female? Have you ever been checked to see if you're a hemophilia carrier? My mother didn't know until I came along. But some female carriers show minor symptoms themselves which might explain your thin blood.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.