The Student Room Group

Medicine

My friend wanted to know she got gcse grade Cs as she went to a underachieving school where less than 40% people passed but her Alevel grades are predicted AAAA (4 Alevels) can she still do Med? And what uni?
Won't be many unis that would accept them but if she can get on any access programmes from local unis that might be the best bet
Original post by Tiffanylee
My friend wanted to know she got gcse grade Cs as she went to a underachieving school where less than 40% people passed but her Alevel grades are predicted AAAA (4 Alevels) can she still do Med? And what uni?

Very unlikely. Many med schools will want at least A's in maths/English, however some non-gcse heavy schools include Newcastle, St. George's.
She shouldn't use the school she attended as an excuse; the secondary school I went to was extremely bad with 35% getting 5 A*-C. Many med school applicants will have attended poor schools but achieved good GCSE's
If she got C's how did she get to do a levels?
Reply 4
Original post by Sacred Ground
Very unlikely. Many med schools will want at least A's in maths/English, however some non-gcse heavy schools include Newcastle, St. George's.
She shouldn't use the school she attended as an excuse; the secondary school I went to was extremely bad with 35% getting 5 A*-C. Many med school applicants will have attended poor schools but achieved good GCSE's

Thank you I'll let her know
Thank you I'll let her know

If she's adamant about doing medicine, a route she could take is:
1. Complete an undergrad degree in a biology/chemistry related subject
2. Apply for graduate entry medicine
Reply 6
Original post by ParisOMg
If she got C's how did she get to do a levels?

She got 98% in her entrance exam (she applied to a private school) so they took her on
Reply 7
Original post by Sacred Ground
If she's adamant about doing medicine, a route she could take is:
1. Complete an undergrad degree in a biology/chemistry related subject
2. Apply for graduate entry medicine

Thank you that's a good idea
She got 98% in her entrance exam (she applied to a private school) so they took her on

That's amazing . I am also going to medicine hopefully. I would be so disgusted if she doesn't get into any uni , just because of her GCSE's .
Reply 9
That's amazing . I am also going to medicine hopefully. I would be so disgusted if she doesn't get into any uni , just because of her GCSE's .

Hopefully she will find a uni that accepts lower gcse grades

Where did you apply?
Hopefully she will find a uni that accepts lower gcse grades

Where did you apply?

I'm too young to apply , just done my gcse . :smile:

btw did she try and apply for Cambridge they are not really bothered about gcse ( I think) as long as she gets 2 A*.
Reply 11
I'm too young to apply , just done my gcse . :smile:

btw did she try and apply for Cambridge they are not really bothered about gcse ( I think) as long as she gets 2 A*.

She wanted to but her teacher didn't let her she sent her application late and obviously Cambridge cares about deadlines
She wanted to but her teacher didn't let her she sent her application late and obviously Cambridge cares about deadlines

Oh that's a shame.
Reply 13
Oh that's a shame.

Anyway Goodluck hopefully you will get good grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending