DebbieRose
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
'During the twentyfirst century climate change will make the costs outweigh the benefits of using traditional hard engineering approaches to coastal flood and erosion risk.' To what extent do you agree with this view (20 Marks)

Need help answering this question
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DebbieRose)
'During the twentyfirst century climate change will make the costs outweigh the benefits of using traditional hard engineering approaches to coastal flood and erosion risk.' To what extent do you agree with this view (20 Marks)

Need help answering this question
It might be easier to split the question up. You need to look at climate change and how this will increase the risk of flood and erosion, eg warmer waters and rising sea levels. You can then look at a variety of hard engineering approaches and see if their effectiveness will decrease given the rising impact of climate change. You need to factor in the social, economic and environmental (SEE) costs of both the hard engineering and the impacts of climate change (flood and erosion). Some hard engineering approaches are costly to set up and maintain and might not work very well, so might not be worth it if the nearby land is derelict, for example. You can also give a flip argument that although some hard engineering approaches are costly (SEE), they do work and this means they are worth it because people don't have to deal with the costs of flooding and erosion, particularly if the population in this area is high.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
20.83%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
16.67%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.33%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
29.17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
20.83%

Watched Threads