Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A level Maths Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused . So am I the first year (starting a level maths edexcel this September) to do the new spec. Furthermore , I am also confused at the modules what is S1 , C2 and how many modules are there? I looked at the specification but still confused. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    yes u r doing new spec

ReputationRep:
    i think u have same modules as before...
    c1,c2 and you get a choice with stats or mechanics..
    new spec is some things from syllabus have been taken out and some re juggled around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    i think u have same modules as before...
    c1,c2 and you get a choice with stats or mechanics..
    new spec is some things from syllabus have been taken out and some re juggled around.
    So I get to choose not to do statistics ? Omg I'm so happy I'm rubbish at it.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i think so..unless that's only my school's policy and choice.

ReputationRep:
    Modules like C1, C2 and S1 are old spec and so you can ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Modules like C1, C2 and S1 are old spec and so you can ignore them.
    So what are the modules for 2017?

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing Edexcel, you get 3 papers.

You get 2 pure papers (which are similar to C1-C4 atm) and a Statistics & Mechanics paper (S1 and M1 in the current spec tied together).

Before it was assessed on a modular basis, so everyone would do C1/C2 in AS, C3/C4 in A2 and of S1, M1 and D1 they'd do one of these in addition to core maths each year (typical was S1 Y12, M1 Y13, but some colleges did D1 instead of S1).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParisOMg)
    I'm a bit confused . So am I the first year (starting a level maths edexcel this September) to do the new spec. Furthermore , I am also confused at the modules what is S1 , C2 and how many modules are there? I looked at the specification but still confused. Thanks
    There is a guide to the new A Level maths here that you may find useful. There are no modules anymore as others have said.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolerthanapples)
    If you're doing Edexcel, you get 3 papers.

You get 2 pure papers (which are similar to C1-C4 atm) and a Statistics & Mechanics paper (S1 and M1 in the current spec tied together).

Before it was assessed on a modular basis, so everyone would do C1/C2 in AS, C3/C4 in A2 and of S1, M1 and D1 they'd do one of these in addition to core maths each year (typical was S1 Y12, M1 Y13, but some colleges did D1 instead of S1).
    One small correction: Statistics and Mechanics will be made up of topics from S1, S2, M1 and M2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    One small correction: Statistics and Mechanics will be made up of topics from S1, S2, M1 and M2.
    My bad.

To be fair I think this is quite reasonable. There's actually not that much content covered in Year 12, although I'm a bit biased for M1 because I do physics so a huge chunk of M1 is covered in Year 12 for me. Because there's not a huge amount of content, people do a lot of revision for each topic and are able to push the syllabus to its limits, meaning that the exam board had to put grade boundaries high or make very hard questions. The same percentage of people get each grade anyway, so learning more content is good.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolerthanapples)
    My bad.

To be fair I think this is quite reasonable. There's actually not that much content covered in Year 12, although I'm a bit biased for M1 because I do physics so a huge chunk of M1 is covered in Year 12 for me. Because there's not a huge amount of content, people do a lot of revision for each topic and are able to push the syllabus to its limits, meaning that the exam board had to put grade boundaries high or make very hard questions. The same percentage of people get each grade anyway, so learning more content is good.
    It's not actually the whole of M1, M2, S1 and S2, just certain parts taken from all of them to form the Mechanics and Statistics spec. There will be a similar amount of applied maths in the new A Level compared to how much there was in the old A Level i.e. two applied modules.

ReputationRep:
    It's not actually the whole of M1, M2, S1 and S2, just certain parts taken from all of them to form the Mechanics and Statistics spec. There will be a similar amount of applied maths in the new A Level compared to how much there was in the old A Level i.e. two applied modules.
    Another question. If I do A level maths Edexcel do I take it in year 13 , right?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParisOMg)
    Another question. If I do A level maths Edexcel do I take it in year 13 , right?
    If you are just doing maths (and not further maths) then you will learn all the content over two years and take the A Level exams at the end of Year 13.

If you are also taking further maths then some students will do the maths exams in Y12 and the further maths exams in Y13 while others will take all exams in Y13.

ReputationRep:
    If you are just doing maths (and not further maths) then you will learn all the content over two years and take the A Level exams at the end of Year 13.

If you are also taking further maths then some students will do the maths exams in Y12 and the further maths exams in Y13 while others will take all exams in Y13.
    Thank you!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.