The Student Room Group

Alevel

Should I start Alevels from Edexcel or Cambridge?Like i m confused between both.Which one is most demandable in the world?I will take Chemistry,Physics and Mathematices.
Original post by Ayman Hafiz
Should I start Alevels from Edexcel or Cambridge?Like i m confused between both.Which one is most demandable in the world?I will take Chemistry,Physics and Mathematices.

Both are fine . They will assess the same skills.
Do Edexcel for Maths. Not sure about chem or phys...try not to go with OCR for chem.

are you doing A Levels privately?
if you're like 99% of the population and doing A Levels at college/6th form, you have 0 say in what exam board you follow.

in terms of which exam board is "demandable" (not sure if that's a word but I'll roll with it), A Level exam boards don't really matter, OCR isn't more "demandable" than Edexcel and vice versa, it's grade that matters.
A uni literally doesn't care what exam board you followed, they only care for the grade.

There aren't that many differences in content, the only real difference (unless i'm forgetting something) is exam technique, different boards have different styles of question asking, but the content is more or less the same.
Original post by sulaimanali
Do Edexcel for Maths. Not sure about chem or phys...try not to go with OCR for chem.

Oh lol I will have Edexcel Maths and OCR Chem in September - why do you say not OCR for Chem?
Original post by sulaimanali

What's wrong with OCR chemistry ???
OCR chem is a bit weird (at times). It can really easily put you off.
Reply 7
for Edexcel maths, we couldn't take exams in Jan which was pretty difficult but Idk if it's there's a difference with other boards or if that's a determining factor with the new linear maths. for AQA physics I find it pretty difficult and loads of contextualizing with the new spec but idk if that's not the same for other boards. for Edexcel chemistry, I find it pretty enjoyable but I'm pretty sure Cambridge Pre-U has some interesting topics we don't tend to learn about at A level, like Van Arkel triangles and other such things. Also with Cambridge, they have a grade (D1) which is supposed to be better than an A* so could potentially in the future be viewed as one.
Reply 8
Okay.If I do maths from edexcel and physic,chemistry from cambridge.There will be any problem?
Reply 9
Okay.If I do maths from edexcel and physic,chemistry from cambridge.There will be any problem?

just make sure you have enough resources to revise- for maths there wont be many anyway but with physics/chem new spec has been out for 2 years. search for cambridge resources before you pick it.
I presume you are studying outside the UK. The majority of people here won't reply with useful answers as Cambridge (CIE) A levels are for the international market and not taught in state schools in the UK (The domestic equivalent, OCR, offers different specifications to comply with government requirements). Edexcel offers both international and domestic A levels under the name Edexcel but there are differences in the specifications (e.g. English students can only do exams in May/June).

Both Cambridge and Edexcel are equivalent. Pick whichever works for you.

Quick Reply

Latest