Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a uni lecturer/tutor a good job to aspire to? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am quite worried that I might end up in a job where despite great money is quite a drag and boring?

I like the idea of me talking about something I enjoy, also publishing books with the research .

I understand that I need a masters and phd is money an issue? Also am I being realistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I am quite worried that I might end up in a job where despite great money is quite a drag and boring?

I like the idea of me talking about something I enjoy, also publishing books with the research .

I understand that I need a masters and phd is money an issue? Also am I being realistic
    It is really hard work and you need to be 110% invested and motivated in your subject/field. It is definitely worthwhile if you end up contributing some kind of new knowledge or research. However, if you feel you are going to find it boring then it might not be for you as there is nothing worse then a researcher/lecturer who is bored and unenthusiastic, it not only affects their teaching but also their research.

P.S. the pay is not that great unless you become a significant figure in your field or find something groundbreaking etc.

ReputationRep:
    Being a lecturer a secondary, first and foremost you are a researcher, that is where the difficulty comes in.

It is a long, long road, you need a PhD and research experience. It is highly competitive and you'd be lucky if you can pick and choose which university you'd like to work at. There is a hell of a lot of pressure to have work published, and requires a hell of a lot of dedication.

Having said that, I can't imagine a more interesting job personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Being a lecturer a secondary, first and foremost you are a researcher, that is where the difficulty comes in.

It is a long, long road, you need a PhD and research experience. It is highly competitive and you'd be lucky if you can pick and choose which university you'd like to work at. There is a hell of a lot of pressure to have work published, and requires a hell of a lot of dedication.

Having said that, I can't imagine a more interesting job personally.
    One of my old professors at the University of Glasgow, who sadly passed away recently, always said research was counter-intuitive if you could not teach it to people effectively. He viewed teaching and research as two sides of the same coin so to speak. Neither was more important than the other to him. Sadly, the majority of individuals in this kind of work don't see it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    One of my old professors at the University of Glasgow, who sadly passed away recently, always said research was counter-intuitive if you could not teach it to people effectively. He viewed teaching and research as two sides of the same coin so to speak. Neither was more important than the other to him. Sadly, the majority of individuals in this kind of work don't see it that way.

Agree, but it's the quality of research that brings the money in.

ReputationRep:
    It requires a lot of education and time (usually 7-8 years to complete education from undergrad to PhD). As said above, there are more people looking for positions than places available particularly at more desirable universities. Research can be an isolating experience and requires a lot of self-motivation. The pay is not great, in the region of 30-35K per year is possible but more likely to be 25K - at the same time, this is a stable income particularly if you achieve a tenure position (incidentally, the pay for tenured positions is better in the US) and you would ideally be studying something you love and imparting this knowledge to other passionate students. (My uncle told me about this btw, I have no first-hand knowledge)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.