Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jacob Rees Mogg for PM Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I think we'd call Cameron 'clubbable', and May as 'distinctly un-clubbable'.
    He was also quick on his feet and knew what to say when under pressure.

Cameron to May was a big downgrade. I know people say May got more votes than Cameron but that's silly as every election is fought within its own parameters and he won his.

Alas though, his overriding legacy which he wil be remembered by is Brexit, which I don't think he would have wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Rees-Mogg would be a marvellous PM for post brexit Britain. His level of wit and eloquence in the way that he crafts his responses to questions and speeches are leaps and bounds above all other members of the House. Moreover, his articulate nature and passion of pursuing the very best for the British people is what I admire most about him (which I cannot say is the case for many other members of the house). Yes he may have a net worth exceeding £100 million and have attended both Eton and Oxford, however I believe that he has his heart in the right place and wants to utilise his position to achieve great things for this nation and its inhabitants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metaljoe)
    Mr Rees-Mogg would be a marvellous PM for post brexit Britain. His level of wit and eloquence in the way that he crafts his responses to questions and speeches are leaps and bounds above all other members of the House. Moreover, his articulate nature and passion of pursuing the very best for the British people is what I admire most about him (which I cannot say is the case for many other members of the house). Yes he may have a net worth exceeding £100 million and have attended both Eton and Oxford, however I believe that he has his heart in the right place and wants to utilise his position to achieve great things for this nation and its inhabitants.
    Rees-Mogg literally embodies the Tory stereotype...

What message would him being elected PM give? -- we'd be giving The Mirror, The Guardian and The Independent a field day tbh.

I'd favour a more centrist candidate for a lighter austerity approach, electability reaction and perception of a modern Conservative party.

I am on the left of the Tory Party; but either way, I feel that the prospect of Rees-Mogg may be better than the actual reality of him as PM.

ReputationRep:
    He's an ideologue, not a pragmatist. Whilst ideologues are in vogue right now, as a general rule they achieve nothing in office when the realities of running a country of 65m hit them square in the face.

ReputationRep:
    Someone who is a laugh and amusing on a chat show does not make a good leader. Boris Johnson is a good example, who would be a disaster for the UK. Jacob Rees-Mogg is at its politest and old school Tory. His having six children and never changed a nappy suggests sexism as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I think the calls for him to be PM partly comes from the complete dearth of competent individuals within the current cabinet.
    That same lack of talent in the party is exactly how Theresa May ended up as party leader and prime minister.

ReputationRep:
    He's got like 0% experience of leadership; he's only an expert in how to make babies.

Also his accent makes me want to slap him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    That same lack of talent in the party is exactly how Theresa May ended up as party leader and prime minister.
    Let's be fair, there is talent on both benches but on both sides their leaders were chosen almost exclusively based on their positions on major issues (or lack in May's case). Personality possibly as well (Corbyn is perceived as whiter than white and May is so safe that she spent her first year preparing white papers and so essentially accomplished nothing).

ReputationRep:
    Too posh? Defineltly
    Out of touch? That's where he gets interesting, he is actually quite in touch according to things hes said. Not sure hes up for the job of PM, i dont think the party would choose him but if he does get through that stage, the membership would choose him over Davis any day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.