Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Firstly, apologies for posting about this again as I'm sure there are many many requests for help and info! I had a look but ended up lost in long threads not answering the questions I had.

I will be starting my Access to Medicine course at the end of August and will be sitting my UKCAT test around the September/October time I believe so want to do as much preparation as possible. I've looked over the website and official guide etc but wanted to ask people who have completed the test what their advice is for sitting and preparing for it was!

Does anyone have any links to follow for practice test websites? Is there access to reading material online for help with the test or are there any books I should buy? Any specific advise on techniques people have personally used they found helpful? How many questions are you expected to be able to answer or what is the average number that is considered by universities? I found myself panicking when I tried a practice test and felt like there was absolutely no way I could answer all the questions in the allotted time so any info on the number of questions answered that is expected of you would be fantastic. (I want to Study at Aberdeen Uni in Scotland ) Finally, is your entire score taken or is each section taken into consideration? If you were to do badly in one but excel in others would your score/application still be considered?

Again apologies for all the questions and I'm sure mainly it'll come down to practice practice practice but any help or advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Jon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon2546)
    Hi guys!

Firstly, apologies for posting about this again as I'm sure there are many many requests for help and info! I had a look but ended up lost in long threads not answering the questions I had.

I will be starting my Access to Medicine course at the end of August and will be sitting my UKCAT test around the September/October time I believe so want to do as much preparation as possible. I've looked over the website and official guide etc but wanted to ask people who have completed the test what their advice is for sitting and preparing for it was!

Does anyone have any links to follow for practice test websites? Is there access to reading material online for help with the test or are there any books I should buy? Any specific advise on techniques people have personally used they found helpful? How many questions are you expected to be able to answer or what is the average number that is considered by universities? I found myself panicking when I tried a practice test and felt like there was absolutely no way I could answer all the questions in the allotted time so any info on the number of questions answered that is expected of you would be fantastic. (I want to Study at Aberdeen Uni in Scotland ) Finally, is your entire score taken or is each section taken into consideration? If you were to do badly in one but excel in others would your score/application still be considered?

Again apologies for all the questions and I'm sure mainly it'll come down to practice practice practice but any help or advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Jon
    Hey,

Firstly, have a look at the UKCAT resources/posts in the medicine section. Many of your questions will have been answered there.

a) Links to mock tests- http://practice.ukcat.ac.uk
    -use medify too
    -For extra practice, use the websites in this thread- https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=621992

b) UKCAT books (that worked for me and my mates...):

-VR: Score higher on the UKCAT-1000 questions
    -QR: The ultimate guide-1250 practice questions
    -AR: Get Into medical school- 600/1250 practice questions
    -DM: use the official mock tests

C) For how each medical school looks at the UKCAT- it varies a lot; some just want you to pass a certain cut-off, others rank you on your score and award points, etc etc.. have a look at this- https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1062/u...cat-result.pdf

Hope this helps a bit!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon2546)
    Hi guys!

Thanks very much!

Jon
    Hi Jon!

As you mentioned, the best way to prepare for the UKCAT is to practice! You can try using our free UKCAT Question Bank - this has detailed performance tracking so you can measure your progress and thousands of questions.

In terms of how each university uses your UKCAT, you can find this out on our UKCAT Guide (at the end of the page!) - as well as details on scoring and preparation tips.

We've also recently published a series of blogs including our tips for the UKCAT here:

- How to Manage Your UKCAT Timing
    - UKCAT Verbal Reasoning Tips
    - UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips
    - UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips
    - UKCAT Situational Judgement Tips
    - UKCAT Decision Making Tips

Hope this helps! Good luck with your preparation
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Thank you to you both for all your help and information, very much appreciated and a big help!

Jon

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.