Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tenant in adjoining flat being abusive, threatening and generally a **** Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I live in a house that has been split into flats, but not very well. Basically, a house has been split into upstairs and downstairs flats, but still share the same front door. Unfortunately, upstairs is then able to go up stairs and close a door behind to become "self contained". But downstairs has no such door or wall in place to stop people walking down the downstairs hallway into the rooms / kitchen etc.

As you may have guessed, I'm downstairs. It was actually OK when I first moved in. People were friendly and we got on well, similar age, background, temperament etc. The landlord was also ok with my cats, and people there loved my cats too. Eventually people left, because they moved on. Then it was empty for a while awaiting refurbishment cos no one new wanted to, then the actual refurbishment nearly a year because the landlord was hardly ever there. Unfortunately about 2 months ago the landlord decided to move one of his nephews in and he's not a very nice person to be living next to.

He smokes all the time and the smell drifts downstairs, or he wears stinky aftershave that lingers in the hallway outside my rooms. He's a bit of a middle aged boor, and shouts downstairs sometimes to tell me to **** off when I open and shut the back door to refresh the air. He works nightshifts sometimes, but I'm not willing for endure my space being stunk up by not opening back door. Also for him to get to the back yard, he has to walk through my bit of the hallway.

Things came to a bit of a head over the weekend when he came in drunk with his fat **** of a girlfriend and didn't even close the front door. It's a main road in not a great area and the house has been burgled before. When I confronted him about this, he insisted he closed it and if I thought otherwise we should go outside and he would "beat the **** of me". I said I would call the police, so he told me to **** off and went up stairs to drink with his lass. The police came about 2 hours later but obviously couldn't do very much.

There's not exactly much in the way to be sealed off from him. I mean, I could lock each door stairs separately, but it basically means I can't move freely within what is supposed to be my own space. My cats also don't like being confined to one room. But I no longer trust him to even close the front door properly if he's had a drink so I worry about the welfare of my cats. I raised the issue of sealing the downstairs off with the landlord months ago, like in Feb but he said nothing could be done until the summer, and it's really summer now. He keeps leaving the country, so he doesn't know about this latest incident yet.

I've suffered poor mental health over the past 18 months in part due to where I'm living. Even when the upstairs was empty, I still hated living here because it had been burgled, windows smashed, car vandalised and me being robbed in the street in a case of mistaken identity because they thought I had drugs in my backpack. I hadn't been able to leave because I was unemployed for a while and ran up arrears. Because of this house, I feel like I have missed out on a lot, I've been too afraid to leave the country to see my parents, too afraid to leave overnight to travel for a job elsewhere in the country, I joined then quit the the armed forces Reserves when the time came for training in a different base in Scotland / Plymouth and I still hadn't been able to move out.

That was the last straw, which led me becoming very depressed and inactive. I've lost a significant amount of muscle mass and fitness in the past year which is why I backed down from him threatening me. I just wanted to be left alone with my two cats, and I didn't really expect to be physically threatened inside somewhere I lived, even if I hated the streets outside.

My parents have said they'll help now with new accomodation, as I'm going back to uni for a year anyway in Sept. But it'll still take a while because I want to find a suitable property for my pets before I commit.

In the meanwhile, is there anything to be done? He's not exactly educated or seem the reasonable type and I'm sure the landlord will take his nephew's side. Will it really take for me to regain my former fitness / strength and physically attack him for this sort of abusive and threatening behaviour to stop?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by oldboy2007)
    I live in a house that has been split into flats, but not very well. Basically, a house has been split into upstairs and downstairs flats, but still share the same front door. Unfortunately, upstairs is then able to go up stairs and close a door behind to become "self contained". But downstairs has no such door or wall in place to stop people walking down the downstairs hallway into the rooms / kitchen etc.

As you may have guessed, I'm downstairs. It was actually OK when I first moved in. People were friendly and we got on well, similar age, background, temperament etc. The landlord was also ok with my cats, and people there loved my cats too. Eventually people left, because they moved on. Then it was empty for a while awaiting refurbishment cos no one new wanted to, then the actual refurbishment nearly a year because the landlord was hardly ever there. Unfortunately about 2 months ago the landlord decided to move one of his nephews in and he's not a very nice person to be living next to.

He smokes all the time and the smell drifts downstairs, or he wears stinky aftershave that lingers in the hallway outside my rooms. He's a bit of a middle aged boor, and shouts downstairs sometimes to tell me to **** off when I open and shut the back door to refresh the air. He works nightshifts sometimes, but I'm not willing for endure my space being stunk up by not opening back door. Also for him to get to the back yard, he has to walk through my bit of the hallway.

Things came to a bit of a head over the weekend when he came in drunk with his fat **** of a girlfriend and didn't even close the front door. It's a main road in not a great area and the house has been burgled before. When I confronted him about this, he insisted he closed it and if I thought otherwise we should go outside and he would "beat the **** of me". I said I would call the police, so he told me to **** off and went up stairs to drink with his lass. The police came about 2 hours later but obviously couldn't do very much.

There's not exactly much in the way to be sealed off from him. I mean, I could lock each door stairs separately, but it basically means I can't move freely within what is supposed to be my own space. My cats also don't like being confined to one room. But I no longer trust him to even close the front door properly if he's had a drink so I worry about the welfare of my cats. I raised the issue of sealing the downstairs off with the landlord months ago, like in Feb but he said nothing could be done until the summer, and it's really summer now. He keeps leaving the country, so he doesn't know about this latest incident yet.

I've suffered poor mental health over the past 18 months in part due to where I'm living. Even when the upstairs was empty, I still hated living here because it had been burgled, windows smashed, car vandalised and me being robbed in the street in a case of mistaken identity because they thought I had drugs in my backpack. I hadn't been able to leave because I was unemployed for a while and ran up arrears. Because of this house, I feel like I have missed out on a lot, I've been too afraid to leave the country to see my parents, too afraid to leave overnight to travel for a job elsewhere in the country, I joined then quit the the armed forces Reserves when the time came for training in a different base in Scotland / Plymouth and I still hadn't been able to move out.

That was the last straw, which led me becoming very depressed and inactive. I've lost a significant amount of muscle mass and fitness in the past year which is why I backed down from him threatening me. I just wanted to be left alone with my two cats, and I didn't really expect to be physically threatened inside somewhere I lived, even if I hated the streets outside.

My parents have said they'll help now with new accomodation, as I'm going back to uni for a year anyway in Sept. But it'll still take a while because I want to find a suitable property for my pets before I commit.

In the meanwhile, is there anything to be done? He's not exactly educated or seem the reasonable type and I'm sure the landlord will take his nephew's side. Will it really take for me to regain my former fitness / strength and physically attack him for this sort of abusive and threatening behaviour to stop?
    Ive read it all and im quite experienced in these matters, but am a bit stumped.

The things that make it difficult are:

1. LL away and not interested in doing anything.
    2. You are going to uni anyway.
    3. Pets and poor credit record make it impossible for you to move.

The police cant do anything unless he commits a crime.
    If he threatens you or persistently intimidates then get evidence and keep a record. record/ film him as evidence and the police can use that.

Its unlikely he will pay any attention of a third party unless its the police as the natural go to person would be the LL but it wont work in this case.

I am stumped really.

1. Contact Shelter.

Theres a live chat or

0808 800 4444

It may be helpful to have the following information to hand:
    • If you rent your home: your landlord's name and address and any letters you've received from your landlord.
    • If you have a mortgage: your mortgage lender's details and any letters you've received from your lender
    • Details of any benefits you're claiming.

or CAB

http://www.cas.org.uk/bureaux

ps you said you were in Scotland?

2. Either call a truce.
    3. Dont antagonise and just avoid.
    4. Find somewhere else near uni and move there early.

Mediation or legal wont really work because of who the LL is.
    He is possibly breaching one of the internal covenants, but really i dont think the solution is legal. Lie low and get out up to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Ive read it all and im quite experienced in these matters, but am a bit stumped.

The things that make it difficult are:

1. LL away and not interested in doing anything.
    2. You are going to uni anyway.
    3. Pets and poor credit record make it impossible for you to move.

The police cant do anything unless he commits a crime.
    If he threatens you or persistently intimidates then get evidence and keep a record. record/ film him as evidence and the police can use that.

Its unlikely he will pay any attention of a third party unless its the police as the natural go to person would be the LL but it wont work in this case.

I am stumped really.

1. Contact Shelter.

Theres a live chat or

0808 800 4444

It may be helpful to have the following information to hand:

• If you rent your home: your landlord's name and address and any letters you've received from your landlord.
    • If you have a mortgage: your mortgage lender's details and any letters you've received from your lender
    • Details of any benefits you're claiming.

or CAB

http://www.cas.org.uk/bureaux

ps you said you were in Scotland?

2. Either call a truce.
    3. Dont antagonise and just avoid.
    4. Find somewhere else near uni and move there early.

Mediation or legal wont really work because of who the LL is.
    He is possibly breaching one of the internal covenants, but really i dont think the solution is legal. Lie low and get out up to uni.
    Hi, thanks for replying. What do you do to have experience in this? I'm working self employed at the minute but will be quitting in September when course starts.

I don't live in Scotland, I just meant that I was required to travel to there or Plymouth and I ended up quitting the Reserves because I was too afraid to leave overnight. I'm not agoraphobic or anything like that, but I wouldn't say I'm mentally normal about it either because of the number of crimes commited against my person while living here. My parents live overseas now and we no longer have a family house left in the UK.

I am trying to move out now that my parents have given me enough money for a place of my own. When I tried last year I was looking at house shares because of money but it proved impossible. Even now because I'm a mature student with pets now, a house share is not viable. I tried a month on sparerooms and gave up. Going round proper letting agents now.

I just feel deeply angry at the minute that I was threatened inside where I lived and was forced to back down. If he was to physically attack me now, it wouldn't be a complete rollover from me and he threatened rather than just launching himself at me. But I can't guarantee I'd win because I'm out of shape, eat / sleep poorly. A year ago I was in quite good shape, a couple of stones heavier, started going to martial arts classes and would have kept going even more if I didn't mentally collapse after quitting the Reserves a couple of months after joining. Back then I found my current job but still had significant debts and couldn't have gotten a proper place on my own because job wasn't that well paid. It would tick me over but not really do much more. I didn't ask my parents then for help because I didn't see any hope for the future, so I was basically slowly dying inside until I got the offer to go back to uni and retrain.

If anyone is reading this, your life can be so much worse when you leave uni.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of landlords aren't bothered about cats, I wouldn't let that worry you.

I feel sorry for you though, sounds like an awful situation to be in But I'm sure you'll easily find some place more suitable!
    • Very Important Poster

Hi, thanks for replying. What do you do to have experience in this? I'm working self employed at the minute but will be quitting in September when course starts.

I don't live in Scotland, I just meant that I was required to travel to there or Plymouth and I ended up quitting the Reserves because I was too afraid to leave overnight. I'm not agoraphobic or anything like that, but I wouldn't say I'm mentally normal about it either because of the number of crimes commited against my person while living here. My parents live overseas now and we no longer have a family house left in the UK.

I am trying to move out now that my parents have given me enough money for a place of my own. When I tried last year I was looking at house shares because of money but it proved impossible. Even now because I'm a mature student with pets now, a house share is not viable. I tried a month on sparerooms and gave up. Going round proper letting agents now.

I just feel deeply angry at the minute that I was threatened inside where I lived and was forced to back down. If he was to physically attack me now, it wouldn't be a complete rollover from me and he threatened rather than just launching himself at me. But I can't guarantee I'd win because I'm out of shape, eat / sleep poorly. A year ago I was in quite good shape, a couple of stones heavier, started going to martial arts classes and would have kept going even more if I didn't mentally collapse after quitting the Reserves a couple of months after joining. Back then I found my current job but still had significant debts and couldn't have gotten a proper place on my own because job wasn't that well paid. It would tick me over but not really do much more. I didn't ask my parents then for help because I didn't see any hope for the future, so I was basically slowly dying inside until I got the offer to go back to uni and retrain.

If anyone is reading this, your life can be so much worse when you leave uni.
    Local shelter office is here just enter postcode and take any documents such as tenancy agreement.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice

You are better going in person.
    Telephone interviews are limited.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/helpline

Local CAB is here
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...tizens-advice/

Clearly you arent in a god frame of mind so go and see your GP as well.

ReputationRep:
    Local shelter office is here just enter postcode and take any documents such as tenancy agreement.

Local CAB is here

I will never see a GP about mental health now, it all goes on the record. I used to be a teacher, you get asked about it. I applied to military reserves, you get asked about it. I got my historical issues exempted in both cases but it takes time and it's not guaranteed. So no way will I ever stain my medical records now with anything mental now. If you get sectioned for something fair play, but other wise try and get on with your life as best you can.

I will ask Shelter what they can do. But it maybe that I move out before in any case. Hopefully I get something sorted in the next month before uni starts in September. Uni is not too far away from where I am even now.

Yeah I definitely can't stay here, either eventually he attacks me or I get back into shape and attack him, because you can't threaten someone and put it back into the bottle.

Did you know he had the cheek the day before the incident to ask me to stay in September and not move out? I literally can't see anyone wanting to stay in the downstairs like I am now and the LL told me before the nephew moved in when he was refurbishing the upstairs that if I left, he'd probably try to let the house out as a whole again. Then this ****er couldn't just live upstairs like he is now with half rent.
    • Very Important Poster

You need to calm yourself down for your own sake and that means not getting caught up in the drama, but being practical and working towards your exit.
    GL

ReputationRep:
    violence will just make matters worse unless you are a hardened criminal, which you are clearly not. i would suggest moving back to your parents with the cats until you can find somewhere suitable to live.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the bear - don't be drawn into violence but do try to get out of there asap. Your health, physical and mental, is more important than confronting this 'person'.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather sleep in a car or a tent than bother with that *******s

ReputationRep:
    fighting him isn't going to help anything, only lead to the landlord feeling they have to kick someone (probably you, let's face it) out OR exacebate the situation and make it worse

could you suggest you swap to the upstairs flat if this guy is often smoking and wants to get outside?

ReputationRep:
    You need to calm yourself down for your own sake and that means not getting caught up in the drama, but being practical and working towards your exit.
    GL
    I think I'm going to take a trip to Shelter and a storage place now.

Basically he came in house just now and I heard him fiddling with keys for ages outside of my bedroom door, which is in close proximity to the door to his upstairs as well as another room I have down stairs.

EDITED:

Met him in the corridor. Got my stuff. He wasn't happy about me calling the police and wanted to know when I was leaving. He stank of booze so he probably had trouble unlocking his own door.

Have 1 house viewing next Tuesday if goes well, will try get that one ASAP.

ReputationRep:

Local CAB is here

So I told the landlord when he came to collect the rent about his nephew's abusive and threatening behaviour and when the police was called. He didn't seem happy about it and said he was going to have a word and possibly evict him. But then he never bothered to come to the house again.

Oh I decided to record one of his drunken rants to the Gods as it's the second time it's happened with me in the house, who knows what he gets up to in his own time.

https://soundcloud.com/user-29494557...-yobo-upstairs

Not exactly what you call a reasonable neighbour by any stretch of the imagination.

I still looking for suitable accommodation for me and my two cats but it's difficult because a lot of landlords don't accept cats and my parent's no longer live in the UK.

I have an appointment next week with my nearest Shelter Office, but for a different matter. I was contacted through Sparerooms by a landlord who was willing to accept my pets but wanted a deposit to reserve the house while he renovated the property and while I looked for a co tenant because the price he asked was too much for me alone. We agreed that I'd get half the deposit back if I didn't move in / sign within a month. Turns out he's an utter lying scumbag. Initially tried to overcharge by £200 per month. Said he was "generous" by knocking £100 off. I had trouble finding someone to share with because amongst other things, he hadnt started any renovations so people were put off and it was still £100 per month more than houses on that road/area. Now he's ignoring me and refusing to return hundreds of pounds. Preying on people's desperation as he said "I feel very let down by you" and "I'm only trying to help but you must have given notice where you are now" and when I told him I hadn't and wasn't and wanted my money back was completely blanked despite writing me a receipt for deposit and sending messages over text agreeing that he was going to refund half the money.

Moral of the story is. Landlords are scum. The politicians overseeing the UK housing market are scum.

ReputationRep:
    So I told the landlord when he came to collect the rent about his nephew's abusive and threatening behaviour and when the police was called. He didn't seem happy about it and said he was going to have a word and possibly evict him. But then he never bothered to come to the house again.

Oh I decided to record one of his drunken rants to the Gods as it's the second time it's happened with me in the house, who knows what he gets up to in his own time.

https://soundcloud.com/user-29494557...-yobo-upstairs

Not exactly what you call a reasonable neighbour by any stretch of the imagination.

I still looking for suitable accommodation for me and my two cats but it's difficult because a lot of landlords don't accept cats and my parent's no longer live in the UK.

I have an appointment next week with my nearest Shelter Office, but for a different matter. I was contacted through Sparerooms by a landlord who was willing to accept my pets but wanted a deposit to reserve the house while he renovated the property and while I looked for a co tenant because the price he asked was too much for me alone. We agreed that I'd get half the deposit back if I didn't move in / sign within a month. Turns out he's an utter lying scumbag. Initially tried to overcharge by £200 per month. Said he was "generous" by knocking £100 off. I had trouble finding someone to share with because amongst other things, he hadnt started any renovations so people were put off and it was still £100 per month more than houses on that road/area. Now he's ignoring me and refusing to return hundreds of pounds. Preying on people's desperation as he said "I feel very let down by you" and "I'm only trying to help but you must have given notice where you are now" and when I told him I hadn't and wasn't and wanted my money back was completely blanked despite writing me a receipt for deposit and sending messages over text agreeing that he was going to refund half the money.

Moral of the story is. Landlords are scum. The politicians overseeing the UK housing market are scum.
    You should send a recording of his nephew making all that racket to the landlords email address so he can listen to it because whoever moves in after you left will have to suffer his nephews abuse and the landlord won't understand what he's really like until he hears it for himself or to record him leaving the door open with a hidden camera
    Landlords have to pay out a lot more in mortgages, insurance, solicitors fees, etc, etc so they have to charge a lot because their not running a charity. It is easy for people who rent and don't own their own place or have a mortgage to think landlords are greedy which is true but they have far more bills, debts, responsibilities than someone who is just renting but they will charge more to whoever will pay it but that does not mean I'm on the landlords side. Some are worse than others, your lucky if you get a good one

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.