The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Advice and any opinions on Sheffield Hallam University

For the past year I have attended Leeds Beckett University, and I have completed my first year in Childhood Studies. I haven't enjoyed the subject very much, and I don't feel like I have settled in too well. I am considering transferring to Sheffield Hallam, and I wanted to know what people's opinions on Sheffield Hallam University are. Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Lbethany6
For the past year I have attended Leeds Beckett University, and I have completed my first year in Childhood Studies. I haven't enjoyed the subject very much, and I don't feel like I have settled in too well. I am considering transferring to Sheffield Hallam, and I wanted to know what people's opinions on Sheffield Hallam University are. Any help would be appreciated :smile:

The student advisors for Hallam are pretty helpful, but they arent going to say anything bad.

Have you identified the course you want to transfer to and sure they will accept?

Thats what you need to establish first and youd better get on with it by contacting the department sooner rather than later.

I always thought Leeds was a pretty good place to be a student but Sheffield is as well. Locals are mostly friendly, students all over the place and its pretty cheap.
If you are in Leeds then you should visit as its less than an hours journey ride and you can have a walk round the uni plus potential accommodation etc to get a feel for the place. They might even have some last minute open days.

I'd think the facilities are pretty good but hard to tell what they are building as new blocks go up all the time.

Do some research and dont be afraid to start again as you get a gift year so you can always start a different degree if you have to and have a second go at finding a course you like and a uni life where you can be happy. Its sometimes easier to settle into a new course where everyone is a fresher than year 2 when cliques have formed imo. You can get past that but you have to be a bit outgoing and force yourself in.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

You've been given some great advice above. I'm going into my third year at Sheffield Hallam - I study English language, but if you have any questions about the campus, the support services, the city, or anything else really, feel free to ask me any specifics!

I'm pretty happy at Sheffield Hallam, and even though I came in through clearing, I think I'm in the best place possible for me personally. I feel really included and supported by the uni and the Students' Union, and I feel like the city has definitely become my home in the past two years - I love being in Sheffield.

Which course would you like to transfer to? It'd be a good idea to come and visit the uni on an open day (we have one coming up on the 1st October, and we also do weekly campus tours on a Wednesday morning and afternoon, as well as accommodation tours which you can book on the shu.ac.uk website under the 'visitors' section.) You could also ring up a specific faculty or the admissions services if you wanted more information about how to transfer or apply!

The facilities are great and they're only getting better and better - with Charles Street our new Education building which is a bright, inspiring space with lots of computers and study spaces as well as classrooms, and amazing refurbishments our STEM building having just been completed. I always think it's important to know what the university does with all the money each student pays towards going - and it's great to be able to see that Sheffield Hallam uses so much of it to actually improve the students' experiences and education year after year.

I've also found the support at uni to be really helpful. I've visited the student wellbeing service who helped me to settle in in first year by giving my advice and mental health support when I needed it, and I find that the Student Health (GP) services are really helpful here, too. Aside from that, support given by my tutors and my faculty has helped me to keep up with further reading and studies and to complete my assignments with as much information as they could give me (using Blackboard to put up content, further reading, summaries, advice etc.).

Joining in with 'extra curricular' activities has been really fun and easy here, too, with the SU being really welcoming and helpful, offering volunteering opportunities, societies and sports, events like pub quizzes and karaoke at the SU bar and open mic nights at the Coffee Union, as well as there being a 'UniHub' online which has helped me find part time jobs and work experience opportunities! The nightlife in Sheffield is also great if you're into that :biggrin:

I hope this was helpful! Is there anything else you want to know?! :smile:
PS: Here's the link for the weekly campus tours :smile: https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/student-led-tours

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about that! Why do you feel like you haven't settled in too well?

I have been a student at Hallam for 2 years (going into my third year in September) - so it's safe to say I know quite a bit about the Uni! The University itself is really welcoming which I found helped a lot during my 'settling in process'; and other than when I've been drowning in assignment deadlines, I've felt very comfortable and happy studying here. My initial opinion of Hallam has never really changed, as it still has that same chilled and relaxed vibe that I experienced at the first open day I attended! I also find my tutors really inspiring and supportive - so I can't really complain on that front.

Hallam has a range of useful facilities such as the Library, a Gym, Societies, the Student's Union, Student Support, and as the above poster has mentioned, the University is constantly increasing the amount of facilities we have available and has just opened new buildings.

It's great to be a student in Sheffield - the night life, friendly locals and the cheap drinks are definitely the best parts about the city, ha!

If you haven't already, definitely come to an Open day or the weekly campus tours Hallam offers!

Hope this helps you a little bit, let me know if there's anything more specific you need help with :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
hi im currently trying to sort out accommodation and i was wondering if you could help.where would you say is the most social place to be? I'm studying psychology so on the collegiate campus
Original post by lucyyyyyyyyy
hi im currently trying to sort out accommodation and i was wondering if you could help.where would you say is the most social place to be? I'm studying psychology so on the collegiate campus

Hey Lucy,

The Forge is one of our biggest Halls and it's known for being very sociable. It's also one of the closest to collegiate campus! However, it's pretty popular, so I'm not sure whether there are going to be places there for this September.

If not, I'd recommend the Anvil which is just a little bit further from Collegiate (but still the same side of Sheffield), and very sociable also being close to the Leadmill nightclub.

Fenton House, Devonshire Courtyard and Victoria Halls are also not too far from Ecclesall road where Collegiate is. They're near West Street and Devonshire street where there are loads of bars, shops and restaurants, and Corporation which is a huge nightclub!

Hope this helped at all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending