Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I dump her or carry on? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I met this girl at the theatre watching Romeo & Juliet, we are from different schools and just got talking to each other and things seem well on that side of things though the problem comes with age and it's really giving me a headache when it comes to deciding if it's okay or not as she's 14 and I'm 17. She's the first girlfriend I've managed to get with my numerous social issues but she sure seems like my type with the same sort of hobbies and interests and I've never found someone so similar to myself as her.

What about legal side of things?
    What do you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    :afraid:

If you're questioning it yourself, I think you know the answer bro.

ReputationRep:
    age of consent = 16

3 year age gap is fine but when she's 14 it's a bit too early

also may be seen as morally off by both your and her classmates

give it some time mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    age of consent = 16

3 year age gap is fine but when she's 14 it's a bit too early

also may be seen as morally off by both your and her classmates

give it some time mate
    What if there was no sexual side to things, is that legal?

I would feel kinda bad with myself if I backed out of it and in 2 years she had someone else there.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't "poke" her until she is 16 and you'll be fine. It's not illegal to be in a relationship with her, it might just have some stigma attached to it.

A a girl in my secondary was found to be dating a 30-something year old man, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomly)
    What if there was no sexual side to things, is that legal?

I would feel kinda bad with myself if I backed out of it and in 2 years she had someone else there.
    Legal

3 year age gap fine but at 14 seen as kind of weird

Defo you'd be viewed as weird by her friends (maybe peers in your age group who may berate you for going younger)

still doable if you REALLY love each other tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Just don't "poke" her until she is 16 and you'll be fine. It's not illegal to be in a relationship with her, it might just have some stigma attached to it.

A a girl in my secondary was found to be dating a 30-something year old man, lol.
    did he go in with the 'age is just a number line' aaaa

ReputationRep:
    "....she's 14 and I'm 17...."

Lock it off

ReputationRep:
    drop her bc I don't think you'd want to go to jail any time soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    Legal

3 year age gap fine but at 14 seen as kind of weird

Defo you'd be viewed as weird by her friends (maybe peers in your age group who may berate you for going younger)

still doable if you REALLY love each other tho
    I guess I'll have to have a word with her over all this and see how she thinks of it all. I have no one to get at me I literally have 0 friends.

ReputationRep:
    So, I met this girl at the theatre watching Romeo & Juliet, we are from different schools and just got talking to each other and things seem well on that side of things though the problem comes with age and it's really giving me a headache when it comes to deciding if it's okay or not as she's 14 and I'm 17. She's the first girlfriend I've managed to get with my numerous social issues but she sure seems like my type with the same sort of hobbies and interests and I've never found someone so similar to myself as her.

What do you suggest?
    Imo it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by go_suck_a_****)
    I sense a future PEDO
    I don't want to be one of those, I'm just after a woman who is my type and isn't some slutty type and shares the same future aspirations in life and that is what I have here.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be one of those, I'm just after a woman who is my type and isn't some slutty type and shares the same future aspirations in life and that is what I have here.
    Its a 3 year age gap, you know what to do
    It being a three year age gap isnt the problem really. The major problem is under the age of consent.

OP, you need to break it off unless you are going to have no sexual contact with her until she is at least 16 - even without it I would still suggest you break it off.

ReputationRep:
    Its a 3 year age gap, you know what to do
    So what? I have a brother who is 15 years older than me we get on like best buddies, 3 years can seem indistinguishable when you counter individuality into things.

ReputationRep:
    THAT'S YOUR BROTHER!
    But i got one better GO FOR THIS RELATIONSHIP BUT....
    I'LL SEE YOU IN PRISON SOON BRO hehe
    If it's not sexual then it should be legal so I'll go with that for 1 and half years, I'm sure the time will fly by anyway then it's whatever then if it lasts that long.

ReputationRep:
    Someone SOUND THE PEDO ALARM

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's just the matter of mindset as she probably hasn't experienced much in life and you're 17. If you like her very much then just see where it goes. I don't want to say go dump her as that's your decision.

ReputationRep:
    Never go outside the 1/2 age + 7 rule, it's a fair guide.

ReputationRep:

What do you suggest?
    Wait out.

ReputationRep:
    A woman?? She's 14

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.