Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it more to do with him or me? Watch

Announcements

there's a guy who I've been friends with for a year and a half. He's wanted to be friends with benefits, and I tried but it didn't work, as I have feelings for him whereas he doesn't have any for me.

I accept this and we've said that nothing else will happen, and i'll try to reduce my contact to help me move on but ultimately I don't want to lose him as a friend.

I know there's probably no point in even trying to analyse but sometimes I find him confusing; at points I've wondered if he does like me and is just afraid of having a relationship or anything.

He speaks to me all the time; he's never not replied to messages or anything.. when I went through some workplace bullying he seemed genuinely upset for me and did his best to help me.

whenever i have mentioned another guy or anything he's seemed a little jealous. I said that one of his friends was attractive and he said 'Yeah well anyway he has a girlfriend who he's extremely in love with.' Another time he asked if a guy i'd met was 'better-looking than him or not.'

when he found out I'd been intimate with another guy he went ballistic at me and then admitted he was jealous..

He gives me so many compliments on the way I look but also says what a cool person i am and how i have 'everything going for me.'

but then he says he 'doesn't want a relationship', he 'wishes he could have affection but struggles to get attached to girls now.'

He's told me a few times that he sees me as a friend and doesn't have feelings for me but says he has no interest in a relationship with anyone and doesn't have feelings for anyone. Then once he said that 'maybe he'd want to be with me in the future, maybe not, he didn't know.'

My friends have told me that he's clearly only interested in sex. I know i need to move on but I find his behaviour very confusing and that he gives mixed signals. does it sound like he's just afraid of commitment and is interested to an extent, or is there nothing there at all? Thanks

also, he's been single for years now, and apart from me hasn't really had anything with anyone else...

I don't get it sorry..? lol

ReputationRep:
    It's you, YOU WANTED TO MAKE HIM FEEL JEALOUS, DIDN'T YOU?
    But yh FOOK HIM

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.