Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fat people on a plane Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/3...1-e992d68ffe2f

Thoughts?

I haven't been in such a situation on a plane, but on a train. I didn't say anything but I was visibly annoyed. At the end of the day it's not the other people's fault you are that fat. But they have to suffer because of you. Like I definitely have heard people talk about others when those others smell. Because that's making others suffer. So why can you do it then, but not when someone is fat?

ps For me being fat is simply a mindset, don't want to be fat? Eat less calories than you burn. The number of people that actually have medical conditions are far and between. And if you already have a stomach that is so huge you always feel hungry, well that only happens if you ate way too much over years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)

Thoughts?

I haven't been in such a situation on a plane, but on a train. I didn't say anything but I was visibly annoyed. At the end of the day it's not the other people's fault you are that fat. But they have to suffer because of you. Like I definitely have heard people talk about others when those others smell. Because that's making others suffer. So why can you do it then, but not when someone is fat?

ps For me being fat is simply a mindset, don't want to be fat? Eat less calories than you burn. The number of people that actually have medical conditions are far and between. And if you already have a stomach that is so huge you always feel hungry, well that only happens if you ate way too much over years.
    In terms of a plane situation pay for the amount of seats you take up basically.

Some people work all day and literally don't have a chance to go out and exercise.

ReputationRep:
    This the sequel to the one with snakes? Sounds shite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    In terms of a plane situation pay for the amount of seats you take up basically.

Some people work all day and literally don't have a chance to go out and exercise.
    Abs are made in the kitchen.

Applies to being fat, too. You do not need exercise to not be fat. It is all about calories. Exercise just raises the amount of calories your body burns in a day.

And yes, I propose:

1 row in every plane that has say 2 seats where otherwise there would be 3. In essence, people so fat that they take up more than 1 standard seat need to pay 1.5 times a normal ticket and they sit in that row. If it is a 2x3 plane, that means it could have 4 fat people on the plane, and if there are 0 but the plane is full, well 4 people get lucky (don't charge them more) and the airline just loses 2 tickets. On a full plane, I think that isn't too terrible. It would be humane that way.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?

Go Club or Business rather than Cattle.

(tongue in cheek, people)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Go Club or Business rather than Cattle.

(tongue in cheek, people)
    Might be an option, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Might be an option, yes.
    I used to travel a lot for work, and went through a stage of ending up next to immensely fat people on Virgin Atlantic flights. And when I say 'immense', I really do mean 'immense'. So I totally get what you're saying. And at that point I was a bit of a ****-shoveller and only got to travel Cattle Class.

I feel your pain. And when they start eating.... Like sitting next to pig in a trough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    This the sequel to the one with snakes? Sounds shite.
    "I've had it with these mother****ing fat people on this mother****ing plane!"

ReputationRep:
    If very large people are able to board planes, the least they could do is give the rest of us more luggage space.

It's only fair.

ReputationRep:
    It's good that she's aware she is taking up excess space and is trying to minimise that in the moment, but for someone who loves flying like it's part of her life, you'd think she'd expend some energy to make that experience nicer. She even invests in seatbelt extenders but cba to do something that is good for her physical and mental health and even save her money.

I'm not sure why she complains about "my body is regularly discussed in my presence w/o my input". Sure, the language used might be offensive, but complaining to the airline that someone is taking up their seat is far more productive than telling a fat person who can't suddenly become healthily sized or move to any seat hoping it's vacant. Does she really want the passenger and the crew to ask her to take up less space rather than using their common sense and knowing that's not going to happen without weeks of exercise and eating right?

She doesn't seem like a bad person, but she's either oblivious or in denial that she needs to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    If she put more effort into exercise and less into complaining she wouldn't have such an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think she should quit her *****ing and lose the weight. Don't like paying double? Lose weight. Don't like being 'treated like luggage', or your body being 'discussed 24/7 w/o your input?' Lose weight.

Why invest in so much in order to fly when you can lose weight for free. **** fat sympathy and acceptance.

It's basically heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes and bypass acceptance in my opinion.

It's not that complex - it'll be hard, and there'll be all kinds of setbacks, pain and emotions along the way - that comes with any transformation...but is it worth it? Of course it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrythomas14)
    I think she should quit her *****ing and lose the weight. Don't like paying double? Lose weight. Don't like being 'treated like luggage', or your body being 'discussed 24/7 w/o your input?' Lose weight.

Why invest in so much in order to fly when you can lose weight for free. **** fat sympathy and acceptance.

It's basically heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes and bypass acceptance in my opinion.

It's not that complex - it'll be hard, and there'll be all kinds of setbacks, pain and emotions along the way - that comes with any transformation...but is it worth it? Of course it is.
    Harry, some people might call your post offensive and rude, but you are spot on and sometimes harsh language is necessary.

Obesity is a serious disease and one of the worst affecting humanity - probably the decisive contributor to exploding health costs, making insurance for all of us more expensive. Not to say the least, it's ****ing selfish and weak. I would love to eat like a pig, too, but I know the consequences so I don't. I also exercise. Why can't they?

ReputationRep:
    Harry, some people might call your post offensive and rude, but you are spot on and sometimes harsh language is necessary.

Obesity is a serious disease and one of the worst affecting humanity - probably the decisive contributor to exploding health costs, making insurance for all of us more expensive. Not to say the least, it's ****ing selfish and weak. I would love to eat like a pig, too, but I know the consequences so I don't. I also exercise. Why can't they?
    Of course they might; you can't say anything without running that risk nowadays.

You're so right...it's self-inflicted and every bite of food's a choice, regardless of what they may say. It's an epidemic.

Straight...eat less, move more - it's basic science. I like food very much, so I sweat it out, much like yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.