Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I started a nursing diploma in Sept 2008 but took a leave of absence in May 2009 after falling behind in my studies, I then re-joined the course on a new cohort in January 2010 to complete year one, but again took a leave of absence starting July 2010.

I never returned to the course after July 2010 and I let my Uni know that I would not be returning (withdrawing) about mid-way through this 2nd leave of absence.

I have calculated this time as 2 years of previous study would this be correct?

If so would this mean I have to fund the first year of my new degree using this calculation.

New course is 4 years + 1 gift year – 2 years previous study = 3 years of funding.

Is this correct? I just wanted to check as I am getting myself confused about the SFE rules.

Thank you very much for any help.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lea05)
    Hello
    I started a nursing diploma in Sept 2008 but took a leave of absence in May 2009 after falling behind in my studies, I then re-joined the course on a new cohort in January 2010 to complete year one, but again took a leave of absence starting July 2010.

I never returned to the course after July 2010 and I let my Uni know that I would not be returning (withdrawing) about mid-way through this 2nd leave of absence.

I have calculated this time as 2 years of previous study would this be correct?

If so would this mean I have to fund the first year of my new degree using this calculation.

New course is 4 years + 1 gift year – 2 years previous study = 3 years of funding.

Is this correct? I just wanted to check as I am getting myself confused about the SFE rules.

Thank you very much for any help.
    Partial and incomplete years are counted as full years for student finance purposes, so yes you've used up two years. The calculation is correct, however, you may be able to get an additional year of funding by applying for Compelling Personal Reasons (note: you need to prove that you had a good reason for interrupting your studies, would you be able to get a doctor's note or similar?).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.