The Student Room Group

Technology industry - Which degree would be best for teaching?

I'm interested in teaching in the future. I'd specifically like to teach Computer Systems at a GCSE/FE level, which is different from Computational thinking, algorithms and programming.

But while I browsed through a few of the courses offered at many universities, I came across different degrees.
"Computer Science [of course], Computer Networks, Computing and IT/ICT."

I would like to know which degree I should consider taking for the unit that I would like to teach.
And yes, I also understand that I would still need some knowledge of the other unit too if I was to get into teaching...
Original post by Tamrin
I'm interested in teaching in the future. I'd specifically like to teach Computer Systems at a GCSE/FE level, which is different from Computational thinking, algorithms and programming.

But while I browsed through a few of the courses offered at many universities, I came across different degrees.
"Computer Science [of course], Computer Networks, Computing and IT/ICT."

I would like to know which degree I should consider taking for the unit that I would like to teach.
And yes, I also understand that I would still need some knowledge of the other unit too if I was to get into teaching...

You could do a PGCE in design and technology
Your main degree should be 50% focused on subject areas that are very closely related to the subject that you wish to teach; and

You can also do a pre Special knowledge enhancement course to fill in any gaps.

Just bear this in mind and you will be fine. Do a main degree that you are interested in you will be fine for the pgce.
Isn't ICT at GCSE and A level being phased out in favour of computer science?

Computer science would undoubtedly be the better choice for the future.
Reply 3
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Isn't ICT at GCSE and A level being phased out in favour of computer science?

Computer science would undoubtedly be the better choice for the future.

Yes, it's changed over the past few years.
I've seen it start from ICT, then become Computing and now it's Computer Science.

Quick Reply

Latest