Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Language Coursework HELP!!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just wanna know if you can use song lyrics as the topic for the language investigation part of the coursework/NEA. I really don't want to start it if it's not allowed
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Jawsomesauce35)
    I just wanna know if you can use song lyrics as the topic for the language investigation part of the coursework/NEA. I really don't want to start it if it's not allowed
    I think so.

If this is AQA it says..

Students can choose to pursue a study of spoken, written or multimodal data, or a mixture of text types, demonstrating knowledge in areas of individual interest.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...EA-EXTRACT.PDF

It also says teachers discretion
    Remind them that Dylan was just awarded the Nobel prize.

Can students choose any topic for their investigation?

Yes, but the final decision is down to you as a teacher and your professional judgement.

The specification says: Students are not obliged to restrict themselves to those areas that are formally taught, as the basis of the investigation is the value of student-led enquiry supported by open learning.

Therefore, any area seen by supervising teachers as yielding interesting questions about language in use may be chosen.

If you do not feel comfortable supervising and marking an investigation, you can suggest alternative topics or approaches. While there is scope to do any topic – even those not covered as part of the course itself – you will be the one marking and internally moderating the work.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...-NEA-GUIDE.PDF

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying 😂😂 hehe and great I'm glad that their quite loose about what you can include. I'm just worried about how im going to analyze the lyrics, should I treat it like a poem? Anyways if you don't know that's fine really appreciate the help

ReputationRep:
    You can, but it's certainly an unconventional choice. What question were you thinking of answering? Because song lyrics are rarely written by just one person.

The problem with treating it as a poem is you might run the risk of turning it into an English lit essay instead, so make sure you have a solid question to base the foundation of your essay on.

Either way, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    A member of my class is linking hip-hop music to the stuff we learned about language and gender, so it should be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.