The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Things to do before starting a Product Design Engineering degree

Hi I'm from France and I'm going to be studying PDE in September. As I have been studying maths and physics in french all my life I was wondering if there was something I could read or do to get ready for this September.
Original post by Mrpickl
Hi I'm from France and I'm going to be studying PDE in September. As I have been studying maths and physics in french all my life I was wondering if there was something I could read or do to get ready for this September.

Have a rest- better to be fresh and raring to go.

Get a job to earn money as that always makes life easier.

Contact the department direct and ask for the reading list.

Also ask to speak to one of the student reps as they can give you an idea on tips of things they wish they had done.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for your answer, talking to a student rep would be great !
Hello!I just finished first year PDE at glasgow, going into second year now.I think you will be fine going into it without having prepared beforehand, they do tend to go over everything well, although sometimes they assume you already learned certain things in high school, especially when it comes to statics (study HARD for statics, its a bad exam, I ended up failing it twice, I got through to second year because I passed everything else pretty well).Theres an online copy of the maths textbook you can get for free, but if you don't like online textbooks, the maths one would be the only one I'd recommend to buy, its the only one you will actually use. They don't say this before you start, but theres a maths test within the first week to see where you stand with maths, its very basic, but if you want to do anything, I'd suggest studying for that. After that theres a maths test almost every single week but again they tend to be pretty easy. You get 5 tests in the year where you have to get 100% on them to pass, but the majority of people pass them all without resits first time round, my friends and I had no resits for them. If you have any more questions let me know!I know its a bit late as freshers is next week but you will be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending