Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teacher who had sex with pupil banned from profession Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I see.

Again, so this is a gender thread or a teacher abusing power thread?

Label it what you see fit, the thread was created by myself to post recent news and allow people to share their views on it. I've shared my opinion and you can share yours on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero766)
    Thoughts?

No pic, no care.....
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Now whether an 18 year old pupil should have different treatment to somebody in the same school year as them simply because the school year coincides differently with each of their birthdays is up for debate. Is this a loophole or would you argue that it's perfectly fine?

I personally see it as a loophole.
    Oh I'm absolutely not saying it's fine, just that in this instance she could not be convicted of sex with a minor. I would personally be in favour of a law change making sexual activity between teachers and students in further education (or lower, obviously) a much more serious offence in order to offer the same degree of protection throughout their school life.

ReputationRep:
    english Macron amirite

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you're saying, but nevertheless it's very unprofessional and she is in what is deemed a "position of trust".

"It is worth noting that the offences cover children and young persons up to the age of 18 and so extend beyond the 16 and 17 year olds with which this post is concerned.

Of course, 18 year olds can still be at school which raises the issue of whether that protection should extend beyond the age of 18. Where a student has a September birthday (and so is aged 18 for most of their final year of school) they are afforded less protection than a student with an August birthday (who will have left school before turning 18)."

https://thesexualoffenceshandbook.co...dents-aged-16/

Now whether an 18 year old pupil should have different treatment to somebody in the same school year as them simply because the school year coincides differently with each of their birthdays is up for debate. Is this a loophole or would you argue that it's perfectly fine?

I personally see it as a loophole.
    Yes, but you are treating people as being of the same level of maturity because they are in the same year. What about the 19 year old re-sit candidate? Although the is a certain amount of arbitrariness in these things, it is better to be arbitrary on the basis of age than on the basis of which class they are in.

And remember the 16 year old apprentice groundsman would have been fair game to her.

ReputationRep:
    What a lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Yes, but you are treating people as being of the same level of maturity because they are in the same year. What about the 19 year old re-sit candidate? Although the is a certain amount of arbitrariness in these things, it is better to be arbitrary on the basis of age than on the basis of which class they are in.

And remember the 16 year old apprentice groundsman would have been fair game to her.
    People of the same school year are generally on a similar level of maturity. Being artirary on the basis of age is no different. 18 or 19, it makes little difference IMO.

Also you're completely misunderstanding. My point is she was in a position of trust and abused that trust. An apprentice groundsman is not a school pupil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    Lets be honest here, if shes hot then its a fantasy of many, many, many guys...
    Let's be honest here, if he's hot then it's a fantasy of many, many, many girls ...

ReputationRep:
    If the boy is old enough to consent, then honestly I have no ill feelings towards the occurrence.

Odds are two people were attracted to each other and they porked. Simple as that. Yes, inappropriate and irresponsible for a teacher to do with a pupil, but provided there was no abuse/predatory grooming involved, then I wouldn't consider it criminal.

And I find people tend to exaggerate the amount of power a teacher has over a pupil. They aren't exactly parent figures. But that's my experience. I wouldn't have felt betrayed or taken advantage of if I had sex with a hot teacher.

ReputationRep:
    This happened in my school, the teacher got 6 ****ing months. Ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    We all know if it was a male teacher who had sex with a school girl he would be jailed, not simply "dismissed" from the profession
    Considerable degree of truth in this www.realsexism.com
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Eleanor Wilson, 28, who had sex with a student in a plane toilet on a school trip has been banned from the profession. She encouraged the boy to hide their relationship and lied about it when under investigation
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-40733014
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find this disgraceful personally. We all know if it was a male teacher who had sex with a school girl he would be jailed, not simply "dismissed" from the profession.

Thoughts?
    Not always, a male teacher in my school just got banned from teaching for it. It is truly awful though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    No pic, no care.....
    Here you go

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pi...-a3597771.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.