Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

for a 17 year old new driver, what car? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i need a car thats effiecient run yet not a locomotive and decent looking. what can i get thats under £1500. has to be cheap on insurance so nothing over a 1.3 litre. let rge debate begin.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Cars & Motoring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbojohn)
    i need a car thats effiecient run yet not a locomotive and decent looking. what can i get thats under £1500. has to be cheap on insurance so nothing over a 1.3 litre. let rge debate begin.
    Why is your username so similar to mine? THIS IS NOT OKAY

ReputationRep:
    My Jaguar XJS (4.0) L6 is a great car to drive and definitely more economical than the 5.3 V12.

I mean you need some comfort in life :P

|For those that can't detect sarcasm, my car isn't yet road legal and I couldn't afford it anyway|

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think you'll struggle to find good looking and under 1500 - you'll be looking pre 2006 really, there might be some excepions, but an 06 corsa or 07 polo?

ReputationRep:
    Japanese cars i.e. Toyota, Honda, Nissan are supposed to be very reliable. Get 10-13 year old ones, they'll run really well.
    Avoid French cars, esp at your price range. When they get old, loads of problems arise with it, so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    This is a great lil runner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSebWilkes)
    My Jaguar XJS (4.0) L6 is a great car to drive and definitely more economical than the 5.3 V12.

I mean you need some comfort in life :P

|For those that can't detect sarcasm, my car isn't yet road legal and I couldn't afford it anyway|
    He needs the S type R with the twin turbo diesel for economy and comfort

ReputationRep:
    Bmw m4
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    See this thread for advice: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4825738

Getting cheap insurance isn't as simple as getting a car under a 1.3 litre engine.

ReputationRep:
    My first car was a Fiat Panda 1.3, comfortable, nippy, economical, didn't go wrong, easy to park. Insurance for first year was £850 I think. Second year after I had written someone's car off in it was £800. You can get one for £1500 easy.

ReputationRep:
    Nissan micra
    hyundai getz
    both cars are good cars, reliable, as good as you cat get on insuance as a young driver etc. And you will be able to get both within your budget.
    Just dont get a fiat punto.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the contributions

ReputationRep:
    how about a Bugatti Varon

ReputationRep:
    Mini One? Bonus points for this one as you won't look like an old granny in her brand new Toyota IQ. Not sure about the emissions and running costs on one of these compared to a small city car, though.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted one but insurance is high
    (Original post by sweet boner)
    Bmw m4

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.