Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm technically homeless, is there anything that can be done ? Watch

Announcements

Long story short; I've found myself in a unfortunate predicament. I come from a tiny impoverished family, my mum had a mental breakdown a few years before I started uni and hasn't been in work since. She's since had to sell my childhood home and is now renting a room for herself, we don't have a great relationship. My elder siblings all have their own rented rooms but can't keep me for more than a few weeks.

I've been at uni for the last two years but after a rough turbulent year amidst declining mental wellbeing, unsatisfaction and frequent thought of suicide I've decided to drop out.

I've stayed at my accommodation till the very last week and I've asked my sister to let me stay for two weeks and that's all she's agreed to.

I understand that it's advisable to go citizens advice bureau and see if they can help me. Last time I did this a very condescending woman who already seemed to have made her mind up before I opened my mouth told me I had to get a job and rent a room like everyone else, she also told me as I wasn't vulnerable I wouldn't be able to get social housing.

I'm looking to get into a apprenticeship as soon as possible and as I'm 21 it's likely going to be very hard for me but that's another matter. Is there anything that could be done ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I understand that it's advisable to go citizens advice bureau and see if they can help me. Last time I did this a very condescending woman who already seemed to have made her mind up before I opened my mouth told me I had to get a job and rent a room like everyone else, she also told me as I wasn't vulnerable I wouldn't be able to get social housing.

I'm looking to get into a apprenticeship as soon as possible and as I'm 21 it's likely going to be very hard for me but that's another matter. Is there anything that could be done ?
    CAB and Shelter. Also try and speak directly to your council's homelessness team (they should have a link on their website). At your age you should have some level of priority.

If you're unemployed you can claim housing benefit which will pay for a room in a shared house. Also a really random option, but if you get a job at a locals pub they often have flats/rooms for the staff! Could tide you over until you have an apprenticeship in place.

If you end up literally on the streets you can stay at a YMCA, they'll often spot you the rent until you're in a position to pay too, but they can be quite rough places.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Is there any reason why you can't rent a room in a house? You're very unlikely to get social housing. There are very few 1 bedroom flats and there are waiting lists. You may get housing benefit; but it would only be enough for a shared room.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Is there any reason why you can't rent a room in a house? You're very unlikely to get social housing. There are very few 1 bedroom flats and there are waiting lists. You may get housing benefit; but it would only be enough for a shared room.
    I'm currently unemployed with no income and probably won't have one till I secure myself an apprenticeship, which is unlikely to happen within two weeks

(Original post by AmeliaLost)
    CAB and Shelter. Also try and speak directly to your council's homelessness team (they should have a link on their website). At your age you should have some level of priority.

If you're unemployed you can claim housing benefit which will pay for a room in a shared house. Also a really random option, but if you get a job at a locals pub they often have flats/rooms for the staff! Could tide you over until you have an apprenticeship in place.

If you end up literally on the streets you can stay at a YMCA, they'll often spot you the rent until you're in a position to pay too, but they can be quite rough places.
    Thank you, very helpful, appreciate it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.