Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If a guy pays for movies, should you pay for dinner? Watch

Announcements

I feel it will be a bit much if he pays for both and snacks at movie?

ReputationRep:
    Pay for it.

However, it is way more expensive for dinner lol, I am also getting him a leaving present?

yeah I used to do that with my ex. He'd always pay for the movie (he'd pre-book our tickets online), and I'd insist on paying for whatever we were doing later - dinner at a restaurant, coffee date etc, or I'd pay for the snacks we ate during the movie. I'd feel too guilty if he paid for everything.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Guys aren't obliged to pay for everything, however if you asked her out on a date, then it's only courteous if you paid for whatever activities you suggested.

ReputationRep:
    why can't couples just pay for their own stuff, it makes stuff a lot more easier

ReputationRep:
    This is a very controversial topic on TSR and men get super touchy over this subject. But you should offer to pay for your own cinema tickets. If he says no and tells you not to pay then don't pay

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Call me old fashioned or whatever but I as a guy would not let the women pay for the first date. I'll expect her to offer to pay just so I know her character but I wouldn't let her pay. Sometimes I'll also pay for the 2nd, depends on what we're doing but after that I'm not paying for her. Maybe once in a while but not a regular occurrence.

ReputationRep:
    Just pay for the condoms
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet boner)
    Just pay for the condoms
    Sweet boner you're starting to grow on me

Spoiler:
    Show

No homer

ReputationRep:
    Could do. Good dating is about exchange of small gifts. It's a bit like round buying.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, people should just pay for themselves, I dont like this "guys have to pay for everything bc its romantic" thing :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    Honestly, people should just pay for themselves, I dont like this "guys have to pay for everything bc its romantic" thing :rolleyes:
    Agreed. I'm happy to pay for myself.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my partner always go halves in whatever we do, unless it's like a birthday or something. Although we have been together for near 4 years so it might be a little different than a first date scenario.

Thanks for all the answers.

I agree we should just pay for our own things but he is the one who insists on paying but I don't feel it's fair on him to pay for everything..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the answers.

I agree we should just pay for our own things but he is the one who insists on paying but I don't feel it's fair on him to pay for everything..
    If he insists then that is a different matter... as long as you make him aware that you are willing to pay for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Dinner would be more expensive than cinema tickets and snacks though. Just pay for yourself.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd say to at least offer to pay for your own or for one of them, or if he pays this time, you pay next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Dinner would be more expensive than cinema tickets and snacks though. Just pay for yourself.
    Have you seen the price of cinema tickets these days? £11pp and around another £15 for snacks for two people (if you are buying from the cinema)...

Even still, you can easily get dinner for less than £20 in a wetherspoons.

ReputationRep:
    It is a nice gesture you pay for someone else, but it should not be expected.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.