Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If a guy pays for movies, should you pay for dinner? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend always complains when I go to pay for something because he "has more money" and doesn't want me spending mine. Which is probably true since we're both at uni but he lives with his mum and still gets the grant while I live by myself and only get the loans. And he's also doing his placement year now while I'm only working part time.

I feel guilty letting him pay all the time tho so usually make us switch who pays every time we go out. But I think it really just depends on the people involved. I don't see why one or the other person couldn't pay for everything or if they split.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel it will be a bit much if he pays for both and snacks at movie?
    Women like you are hard to come across, I'd respect you wayyy more if you actually paid for it (vs acting like you are by slowly getting out your purse). He pays for some activities and you pay for the other, a mutually beneficial relationship vs the woman leeching off the guy which just isn't attractive anymore (like it ever was ).

It isn't too much btw. I'd put a ring on it.

ReputationRep:
    It's 2017 - pay for your own damn food and movie tickets.

ReputationRep:
    I'd always offer to pay, it's polite and I feel guilty if my boyfriend pays for everything when I'm more than capable of affording it myself

ReputationRep:
    Quoting Matt Hussey for this, but as soon as you expect a guy to pick up the tab, you ultimately are saying to him 'you're paying for my time' - that this relationship isn't equal, my time is more valuable than yours, therefore you need to pay for me

If a girl says 'you're supposed to pay', the guy has every right to turn around and say 'you have to have sex wiith me whenever I say' - which is of course an extreme example

I would say that if a guy doesn't pay, at least at the beginning, he wasn't brought up right
    But also, if you don't offer to pay, you weren't brought up right

It changes depending on how long you're dating for, what you're doing and how much you earn, but it is inherently wrong to expect a guy to pay - make the ofer, that's all he's after

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Women like you are hard to come across, I'd respect you wayyy more if you actually paid for it (vs acting like you are by slowly getting out your purse). He pays for some activities and you pay for the other, a mutually beneficial relationship vs the woman leeching off the guy which just isn't attractive anymore (like it ever was ).

It isn't too much btw. I'd put a ring on it.
    They aren't hard to come across, such b*llshit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Have you seen the price of cinema tickets these days? £11pp and around another £15 for snacks for two people (if you are buying from the cinema)...

Even still, you can easily get dinner for less than £20 in a wetherspoons.
    Oooh true. I pay £6 when I go to the cinema. The Odeon is far too expensive unless you have an Odeon card. The Vue is far cheaper and I sneak in snacks. But fair point!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.