Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 27, and have always wanted to get into teaching. My degree (2:2 in Sport & Exercise Science) didn't really set me up for anything teaching related and I have no idea where to start. I graduated 5 years ago but have two young kids so needed to work to keep the money coming in. What is the best way to go with regards to getting into teaching? The get into teaching website is just apply apply apply and I have no idea where to start with it.
    Thanks in advance!

The first thing you need is some school experience. Courses need generally 5-10 days of school time as part of their requirements. If you look around this website, it should help.

https://getintoteaching.education.go...ool-experience

What subject do you want to teach?
    Have you looked at bursaries and funding?

Consider both University led courses and also in school courses (SCITT). I chose a SCITT as it meant I knew that I would be doing my training at 1 of the schools in their group, so close to home. A uni could give you a big commute to a school.

There are also paid training options like School Direct, though these have people who criticise and praise these in equal measures.

If you get on a course you coukd also do a Knowledge Enhancement course which you may be paid (£100-200 per week) to complete.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your degree will hold you back at all.

My first question is what level do you want to teach?

There are paid jobs where you also train as Bob suggests. However, I did the PGCE, and with this you get funding from student finance and maybe bursary.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm leaning towards primary school. It's just hard trying to get the experience whilst juggling full time work! The advice is much appreciated! I will put some feelers out to some local schools for after school club (if that would count as schools experience?)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.