Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

New here, first post, so please go easy on me

I am 30(!) now and I want to change the direction of my career.... midlife crisis I guess

I studied BA in Graphic Design and Visual Communications. After working for almost 8 years in the industry developing brands/marketing strategies and being fairly good at it, I have realised that I want to change the scene.

I'm quite interested in finance and was wondering how the financial world would look at someone with the BA in arts and MSc in Finance....

I don't think I would get into any of the top Finance Schools so probably a MSc degree from Oxford Brookes (since I live nearby) would be more realistic.

Can anyone give their 2 cents about this?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by repboi)
    Hi all,

New here, first post, so please go easy on me

I am 30(!) now and I want to change the direction of my career.... midlife crisis I guess

I studied BA in Graphic Design and Visual Communications. After working for almost 8 years in the industry developing brands/marketing strategies and being fairly good at it, I have realised that I want to change the scene.

I'm quite interested in finance and was wondering how the financial world would look at someone with the BA in arts and MSc in Finance....

I don't think I would get into any of the top Finance Schools so probably a MSc degree from Oxford Brookes (since I live nearby) would be more realistic.

Can anyone give their 2 cents about this?

Thank you
    Well what area of finance are you interested in? Do you definitely want to? You don't sound passionate, just saying. 90% of finance jobs are boring and your creative side might end up hating it. Expensive route to go down if you're not totally sure. You could start studying for cfa level 1? This would show strong willing without the price tag, will set you back around 1200.

ReputationRep:
    anyone?
    Sorry if my language is abrupt I'm on my phone and inhibits the finer points of English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IPEguy)
    Well what area of finance are you interested in? Do you definitely want to? You don't sound passionate, just saying. 90% of finance jobs are boring and your creative side might end up hating it. Expensive route to go down if you're not totally sure. You could start studying for cfa level 1? This would show strong willing without the price tag, will set you back around 1200.
    Thank you for your reply!

Money is not a big problem, I did save up £10k for a masters degree long time ago and my parents keep pestering me that I must study further, otherwise according to them its not a "proper" education what I have at the moment (old school thinking I guess).

You are right, I'm not super passionate about the finance sector as such, and I know its fairly boring, however, I do have interest in investment banking, stock markets etc. and not to mention there is much more options for the future career paths.

My main concern is - would anyone in the financial world would look at me seriously as a viable candidate having BA in Design and MSc in Finance as these two are on a completely opposite end of the spectrum...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply!

Money is not a big problem, I did save up £10k for a masters degree long time ago and my parents keep pestering me that I must study further, otherwise according to them its not a "proper" education what I have at the moment (old school thinking I guess).

You are right, I'm not super passionate about the finance sector as such, and I know its fairly boring, however, I do have interest in investment banking, stock markets etc. and not to mention there is much more options for the future career paths.

My main concern is - would anyone in the financial world would look at me seriously as a viable candidate having BA in Design and MSc in Finance as these two are on a completely opposite end of the spectrum...
    Your ug subject isn't an issue in itself for a while Goldman said they loved people with a liberal arts degree.

I think you need to dig down into what really interests you. How interested are you in IB and markets truly? If you're not going for a top finance masters to get into front office the benefits aren't clear of a masters. If you're happy in a middle office job which is very boring the IMC would suffice but you need to prove an interest in career change.

IB isn't something people are interested in, it's too broad,they choose a department and know a lot about it. Are you interested in fixed income? Or equities? Or m and a? Or corporate finance? Research? S&T?

If you don't immediately know what all those are I think you neee to re-evaluate how interested you are, because a masters will only give you a small advantage to your current position and they will quickly sniff out your true interest levels.

I currently work in finance and about to do a msc finance, happy for you to get in touch.

Hope I didn't come across unfriendly just want to be realistic and pragmatic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IPEguy)
    Your ug subject isn't an issue in itself for a while Goldman said they loved people with a liberal arts degree.

I think you need to dig down into what really interests you. How interested are you in IB and markets truly? If you're not going for a top finance masters to get into front office the benefits aren't clear of a masters. If you're happy in a middle office job which is very boring the IMC would suffice but you need to prove an interest in career change.

IB isn't something people are interested in, it's too broad,they choose a department and know a lot about it. Are you interested in fixed income? Or equities? Or m and a? Or corporate finance? Research? S&T?

If you don't immediately know what all those are I think you neee to re-evaluate how interested you are, because a masters will only give you a small advantage to your current position and they will quickly sniff out your true interest levels.

I currently work in finance and about to do a msc finance, happy for you to get in touch.

Hope I didn't come across unfriendly just want to be realistic and pragmatic
    Sorry to hijack OP's thread but I found yor reply very intriguing. You currently work in finance and are about to do an Msc Fin - why is that? Would you be able to drop me a DM?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.