Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about insight days / work experience programmes Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I do not understand exactly why insight days for Year 13 students in banks and the big 4 are only open to pupils who had free school meals or go to a state school etc. I have seen profiles on LinkedIn of pupils who have undertaken 8+ exclusive work experience programmes like such. It makes for a very, very good CV. Good for them, because I'm sure demand was very high and they deserve it. But what about the rest of us who wish to gain work experience in these companies?

Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrankSh)
    Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I do not understand exactly why insight days for Year 13 students in banks and the big 4 are only open to pupils who had free school meals or go to a state school etc. I have seen profiles on LinkedIn of pupils who have undertaken 8+ exclusive work experience programmes like such. It makes for a very, very good CV. Good for them, because I'm sure demand was very high and they deserve it. But what about the rest of us who wish to gain work experience in these companies?

Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm not sure it is strictly true that these programs are exclusively available to the groups mentioned. However I'm sure you will be able to appreciate why firms may target such students - they are under-represented in financial services and many firms have CSR initiatives to try to improve social mobility.

These programs are a great way to raise aspirations in student who wouldn't otherwise consider such a career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.