The Student Room Group

Do schools bend the entry requirements for a subject specific A levels ???

So I'm staying on at my schools 6th form and I think I've got the entry requirements to do 3 A levels (5.5 APS ).
For A levels I hope to study :
- Business
- English Language and Literature
- Biology
I think I should meet the entry requirements for Business and English.

However I am a bit concerned for the Biology A level requirements.
My school want BB in Core and Additional Science as well as a grade 5 in Maths.
I wont be surprised if I got BC and a 4 in Maths !!! I am just hoping for a BB ...
I am really worried about my maths as I don't think I done to well as I only ever completed 1/4 of the paper ....

So IF I got BB and a 4 in maths do you think they might accept me to study A level biology ???
It depends on whether there are a lot of people doing biology, it also depends on how good your school is academically as a more stricter school would most likely not allow it. It also depends on how high or low the grade 4 is.

And last but not least, it depends on your maths teachers opinion of you, they could easily convince the people in charge that you're hard working or lazy. So if your teacher likes you (as a student ofc) and you're a fairly off a 5 get them to stand up for you, this also applies for whether you miss science by one grade.
Original post by anonomon
So I'm staying on at my schools 6th form and I think I've got the entry requirements to do 3 A levels (5.5 APS ).
For A levels I hope to study :
- Business
- English Language and Literature
- Biology
I think I should meet the entry requirements for Business and English.

However I am a bit concerned for the Biology A level requirements.
My school want BB in Core and Additional Science as well as a grade 5 in Maths.
I wont be surprised if I got BC and a 4 in Maths !!! I am just hoping for a BB ...
I am really worried about my maths as I don't think I done to well as I only ever completed 1/4 of the paper ....

So IF I got BB and a 4 in maths do you think they might accept me to study A level biology ???

BB and a 4 will surely let you in if they are sorted by a human not a computer; depends how big/oversubscribed the biology course is. Not sure if BC and a 4 will be accepted because A level biology is difficult, thats the reason for the requirements.. especially if there are other students who meet them

I must say English, business and biology is the weirdest combination of subjects I have come across, what is your reason for those choices? Do you have a career or uni course in mind?- because you might actually be better off changing biology if it comes down to not getting accepted
Reply 3
Original post by addingishard
BB and a 4 will surely let you in if they are sorted by a human not a computer; depends how big/oversubscribed the biology course is. Not sure if BC and a 4 will be accepted because A level biology is difficult, thats the reason for the requirements.. especially if there are other students who meet them

I must say English, business and biology is the weirdest combination of subjects I have come across, what is your reason for those choices? Do you have a career or uni course in mind?- because you might actually be better off changing biology if it comes down to not getting accepted

I was thinking of going to uni to do physiotherapy or get an apprenticeship in Business at a company such as MBDA or gsk ....

I chose biology for the physiotherapy but i do enjoy studying english and business more. However i believe that working in a business job will be different to studying it ....

I also wanted to study at least one of the STEM subjects. ( Biology)

Quick Reply