The Student Room Group

How do people get offers of 2 E's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
why won't history repeat itself, such that doing the aptitude tests are enough assesssment:frown:
wholikeswood
one of my classics teachers got a double E offer

and he loves to talk about it...
But depending on how old he is, that may just mean he got in through the "old" entrance system. Cambridge (don't know about Oxford) used to set its own exams, that you could take early in the 2nd year of sixth form. That exam performance (plus interviews) would determine whether you got in. The EE offer was simply to satisfy the requirement that every university student had at least 2 A-level passes. So back then (he'd need to be about 40 or over), getting in with an EE offer was more the norm than the exception.
Most people that intend to get in oxbridge with E's are probably people that are musical/sports geniuses
Reply 43
DannyBoy123
Once again you demonstrate your utter lack of knowledge.

I heard about my interview at Magdalen for the 12th Dec. 3 weeks ago. :rolleyes:

'Magdalen' is the Oxford spelling...its spelt "Magdalene" in Cambridge. I'm tempted to use your 'utter lack...' quote on you, but that would harsh :rolleyes:
Reply 44
Sephirona
Most people that intend to get in oxbridge with E's are probably people that are musical/sports geniuses

Erm, I think you've misunderstood this thread slightly. I doubt there's anybody who "intends to get into Oxbridge with E's" (or perhaps some people do intend to, but they won't normally get in).

As for the "sports genius" thing, nobody's given an offer purely because he's an amazing pole-vaulter / tennis player / ice skater, because those sort of things don't exactly qualify someone for academic work.
hobnob
Erm, I think you've misunderstood this thread slightly. I doubt there's anybody who "intends to get into Oxbridge with E's" (or perhaps some people do intend to, but they won't normally get in).

As for the "sports genius" thing, nobody's given an offer purely because he's an amazing pole-vaulter / tennis player / ice skater, because those sort of things don't exactly qualify someone for academic work.

It truly does happen. It happens in America a lot, don't know about the UK.
Reply 46
Sephirona
It truly does happen. It happens in America a lot, don't know about the UK.

Not very often at Oxbridge. Sporting legends might be "attracted" to Camb/Ox by being offered a place on a "less strenuous" course such as Land Economy, or be allowed to do their PhD over a longer period of time than normal, but entrance requirements are usually pretty standard.
lizzy1999
'Magdalen' is the Oxford spelling...its spelt "Magdalene" in Cambridge. I'm tempted to use your 'utter lack...' quote on you, but that would harsh :rolleyes:

Apologies, I have a friend at 'Magdalen' Oxford so when typing quickly I often forget the 'e' :biggrin:

And for an interesting bit of information - The 'e' was added onto the end of 'Magdalen' Cambridge mid-way through the 19th Century so that it could be distinguished from its Oxford sister College by the postal service :smile:
DannyBoy123
Apologies, I have a friend at 'Magdalen' Oxford so when typing quickly I often forget the 'e' :biggrin:

And for an interesting bit of information - The 'e' was added onto the end of 'Magdalen' Cambridge mid-way through the 19th Century so that it could be distinguished from its Oxford sister College by the postal service :smile:

Couldn't they just tell by the fact that one was addressed to Cambridge and the other to Oxford?
Reply 49
Why 'Maudlyn'?
One of the questions we are asked most commonly is about the pronunciation of the name of the College! Though nowadays spelt in the biblical and continental way, 'Magdalene', the College name is customarily pronounced 'Maudlyn'.

The College at its refoundation by Lord Audley in 1542, was dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. The choice of the name of Mary Magdalene appears to have had a touch of vanity. In many early documents, the name is clearly spelt as pronounced: 'Maudleyn', containing within it the name of Audley himself! The final 'e' on Magdalene was an attempt, with the advent of the postal service in the mid nineteenth-century, to distinguish us from our sister College, Magdalen Oxford.

:smile:
Thanks 3232 :wink:
Reply 51
DannyBoy123
Once again you demonstrate your utter lack of knowledge.

I heard about my interview at Magdalen for the 12th Dec. 3 weeks ago. :rolleyes:

No need to be so bitter, Dan.

Well, congratulations on getting an interview! :smile:
Thank you :smile:
DannyBoy123

I don't think so - both are named after Mary Magdalene (almost always spelt with an 'e') - so it's really a question of how the Oxford college lost its 'e' rather than how Cambridge gained it!
Reply 54
Ha, a girl in the year above me got an offer of two E's. She was rate clever though..
Alexander
I don't think so - both are named after Mary Magdalene (almost always spelt with an 'e') - so it's really a question of how the Oxford college lost its 'e' rather than how Cambridge gained it!

Well sorry but you think wrong:

http://www.magd.cam.ac.uk/about/history/why-maudlyn.html :wink:
Reply 56
DannyBoy123

But why did Magdalen(e) think they'd be any more likely to be confused than Corpus, Jesus, St John's or Trinity?:confused:
No idea, but they did!
Reply 58
because...the interviewer wants to **** the applicant
Or a large amount of money 'accidentally' fell out of their pocket as they were leaving the room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending