Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you brush your teeth before of after breakfast? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: When do you brush your teeth?
    Before breakfast
    51.61%
    After breakfast
    38.71%
    I switch it up
    9.68%

ReputationRep:
    before, and the food argument doesn't make sense cause you don't brush your teeth after every meal

ReputationRep:
    after but I wait because apparently the acids in food weakens your enamel slightly and if you brush straight after you can actually damage your enamel? not sure if that's true but I don't understand why you would brush before because your breath would smell of bananas first thing in the morning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobwibbles)
    Brushing too soon after eating them can damage the enamel in its weakened state. Consequently, it's a good idea to brush your teeth before eating an acidic food and to drink a glass of water when you are finished to wash away the acids.

http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral...d-for-you-0313
    Yess, hit em with the facts

ReputationRep:
    Ew I couldnt brush my teeth after eating, thats disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    After... it’s such a waste if you brush it only to have OJ with your jam toast... all that sugar on your teeth, the acidity of the OJ, the pieces of toast wedges between your teeth... especially if you’re having tea or coffee, it doesn’t make sense.

I have breakfast, I brush, I have tea then lunch and chew gum/brush again if I can, after this I stop caring but maybe have gum here and there till bed time when I brush again.

Oh yeah and brushing before ruins the taste of breakfast, try brushing your teeth with mint flavour toothpaste (I say that like most aren’t....) then try and drink some OJ.

ReputationRep:
    Neither. I do not have breakfast. I brush my teeth as soon as I wake up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    So you brush before you're about to get your teeth dirty?
    You can wash your mouth afterwards, plus you're telling me you like to swallow the bacteria that builds up in your mouth while sleeping?

ReputationRep:
    Certain foods and drinks are acidic, so brushing straight after breakfast is going to slowly damage your teeth. You've probably heard about leaving 30 minutes between drink orange juice and brusing your teeth.
    For that reason, I always brush before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobwibbles)
    Brushing too soon after eating them can damage the enamel in its weakened state. Consequently, it's a good idea to brush your teeth before eating an acidic food and to drink a glass of water when you are finished to wash away the acids.

http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral...d-for-you-0313
    Yeah this is why I give myself 45 - 60 minutes after eating before brushing. I like to meet people with fresh breath.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.