The Student Room Group

Do you brush your teeth before of after breakfast?

Scroll to see replies

Ew I couldnt brush my teeth after eating, thats disgusting.
Reply 41
After... it’s such a waste if you brush it only to have OJ with your jam toast... all that sugar on your teeth, the acidity of the OJ, the pieces of toast wedges between your teeth... especially if you’re having tea or coffee, it doesn’t make sense.

I have breakfast, I brush, I have tea then lunch and chew gum/brush again if I can, after this I stop caring but maybe have gum here and there till bed time when I brush again.

Oh yeah and brushing before ruins the taste of breakfast, try brushing your teeth with mint flavour toothpaste (I say that like most aren’t....) then try and drink some OJ.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 42
Neither. I do not have breakfast. I brush my teeth as soon as I wake up.
Original post by UWS
So you brush before you're about to get your teeth dirty?

You can wash your mouth afterwards, plus you're telling me you like to swallow the bacteria that builds up in your mouth while sleeping?
Certain foods and drinks are acidic, so brushing straight after breakfast is going to slowly damage your teeth. You've probably heard about leaving 30 minutes between drink orange juice and brusing your teeth.
For that reason, I always brush before.
Original post by bobwibbles
Brushing too soon after eating them can damage the enamel in its weakened state. Consequently, it's a good idea to brush your teeth before eating an acidic food and to drink a glass of water when you are finished to wash away the acids.

http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/basics/brushing-and-flossing/article/is-brushing-teeth-after-eating-good-for-you-0313

Yeah this is why I give myself 45 - 60 minutes after eating before brushing. I like to meet people with fresh breath.

Quick Reply

Latest