Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car finance on Marmalade Watch

Announcements

So I have just passed my test and I'm looking at options for my first car. Ideally I want a new car as I will be staying at home for uni so want something that will hopefully be reliable and not do too much breaking! I currently earn £160 a week so me and my dad were looking at marmalade to get a car on finance. While you can get a car from them at 17 it has to be a parent that makes the application on your behalf as you can't have finance when you're 17! My dad is more than happy to do this but I'm concerned about getting insurance. Is anyone aware of how this works because I assume my dad will be the registered owner so how will this effect my ability to obtain insurance in my name on the car? Marmalade sometimes offer free insurance on certain cars for the first year but the car I am looking at (a Citroen c1) doesn't offer this in my postcode so instead you get a cash back amount of £1300 to help towards insurance. On marmalade this is very expensive at about £3000 when I can get it for £1000 with companies such as more than. What I'm trying to say is that I'm assuming I would be able to obtain insurance with marmalade with my dad as the owner but don't want to spend that much money when it could be saved. Sorry if I've rambled but any help is greatly appreciated
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I have just passed my test and I'm looking at options for my first car. Ideally I want a new car as I will be staying at home for uni so want something that will hopefully be reliable and not do too much breaking! I currently earn £160 a week so me and my dad were looking at marmalade to get a car on finance. While you can get a car from them at 17 it has to be a parent that makes the application on your behalf as you can't have finance when you're 17! My dad is more than happy to do this but I'm concerned about getting insurance. Is anyone aware of how this works because I assume my dad will be the registered owner so how will this effect my ability to obtain insurance in my name on the car? Marmalade sometimes offer free insurance on certain cars for the first year but the car I am looking at (a Citroen c1) doesn't offer this in my postcode so instead you get a cash back amount of £1300 to help towards insurance. On marmalade this is very expensive at about £3000 when I can get it for £1000 with companies such as more than. What I'm trying to say is that I'm assuming I would be able to obtain insurance with marmalade with my dad as the owner but don't want to spend that much money when it could be saved. Sorry if I've rambled but any help is greatly appreciated
    The owner isn't the registered keeper, and vica versa.

You will be able to get insurance elsewhere - however, strongly consider your mileage when looking into PCP, as 8,000 miles isn't a lot...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.