Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

does anyone else think this? Watch

Announcements

When you're in a comprehensive state school. If you're the best of the best they help you. If you're the worst of the worst they kind of help you. If you're in the middle they don't care.

Its happened to me and alot of people I know. Now my sisters in college she gets opportunities because she has good grades but girls who have average grades don't get the same opportunities.

And these kind of charities or other kind of opportunities always bang on about equal opportunities. How is that equal opportunities, because I know for sure that other children that are better off than working class kids, who have average/ below average grades will get better jobs.

I'm so sick and tired of seeing equal opportunities, because its a bunch of bull.

Also the working world tend to differ alot from school so why on earth is it based on that.

ReputationRep:
    Meh i never really saw this in high school, maybe in some classes. But i'm an average student and most teachers were willing to help me when i needed it.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No, I do not think that. In my school everyone was helped the same.

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling the people in the middle can't be bothered to ask..

That's why they're in the middle..?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they do tend to focus more on the "borderline" students lingering at the C/D boundary. Would boost their league table rankings with more Cs at GCSE

Does anyone have any opinions on the second part of my opinion? Also when I meant average students not having getting any help I meant they never get pushed upwards even if they're trying hard. Not cant be bothered people in leaving them out of the equation.

ReputationRep:
    No if we were going above targets teachers didn't give a SHITE. They just focused on nobody failing

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree. You were only noticed at my school if you either misbehaved constantly or got A*'s in every single subject. Those of us who worked hard and achieved A's and B's were largely ignored.

ReputationRep:
    This is why you should send your children to good independent schools, even if it means eating baked beans everyday for 5 years. (In any case, if your children are clever they'll get scholarships). The state school system in this country is failing countless numbers of student with immense potential. Because teachers are consistently underpaid and poorly treated, they have no incentive to genuinely care about students' performance in the long-run. Instead of teaching children to fulfil their natural curiosity and experience the joy of acquiring knowledge, they teach children to pass the exam. Furthermore, a lot of these schools are driven by statistics and numbers, not the intellectual development of their students. In a class of 30 students—itself overcrowded and unsustainable—, if they can get 10 to achieve A* grades, 5 A grades and 5 Bs, they have a lovely statistic for their prospectus: "67% [notice the inflation] A*-B success rate!" So the other 10 pupils can end up with Ds and Es for all they care. That's a third of the class failing the course. It is not acceptable. What's even more unacceptable is how A* students are given VIP treatment to help them maintain their A*s, while A and B grades are not given the support they need to push their grades a notch or two up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.