The Student Room Group

Age difference (7 years)

So a couple of months ago I started working in my local pub, a job that I love and truly enjoy going to. When I started I was really nervous to talk to all the customers and would just stand behind the bar and probably look really lost 😂 a few weeks in and this guy (let's call him jack) started to talk to me and we get along really well, always chatting and having a laugh. He'll regularly stay after time has been called and sit at the bar chatting while I'm cleaning down at the end of a shift. Last week he messaged me on Facebook about something funny my mum had put on but I kind of panicked and messaged back once and then didn't reply again. When he was in this week he called me chick and we got on as good as ever but I've realised I really like him and I think he likes me. The problem is that I'm 17 and he's 24. My mum would go mad and I don't see how things could work but any advice is sooooo appreciated now
Original post by Anonymous
So a couple of months ago I started working in my local pub, a job that I love and truly enjoy going to. When I started I was really nervous to talk to all the customers and would just stand behind the bar and probably look really lost 😂 a few weeks in and this guy (let's call him jack) started to talk to me and we get along really well, always chatting and having a laugh. He'll regularly stay after time has been called and sit at the bar chatting while I'm cleaning down at the end of a shift. Last week he messaged me on Facebook about something funny my mum had put on but I kind of panicked and messaged back once and then didn't reply again. When he was in this week he called me chick and we got on as good as ever but I've realised I really like him and I think he likes me. The problem is that I'm 17 and he's 24. My mum would go mad and I don't see how things could work but any advice is sooooo appreciated now

Not one to put a spoiler on things, but the reason people say act with caution about large age gaps is because of your lack of experience in dealing with people. Severn years if you were 30 and he 37 would be nothing, but if you were 10 and he 17 then youd think again.

If its seven years then he has advantage in knowing more about life than you which means you can be vulnerable and easily manipulated. Some people arent nice, some people say nice things just to get what they want and inexperienced people cant distinguish very well. You are also at different stages in life.

If you are interested rather than just flattered then take it steady, but id say maybe if the gae gap was half that it might be easier.
I'd say if you really do like him, go for it but take it slow. At 24, he's probably graduated from uni and has a full-time job whereas you're probably only halfway through your A Levels. That said, two people can have a huge age gap and still click and have natural chemistry with a successful relationship. I hope it works out for you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

My grandad was 7 years older than my grandma. However at 17 and 24, you're (presumably) at two very different stages of life. If you really like him though, go for it.
Reply 4
17 and 24 is too much of a gap at that age. Why because he seems to have just matured, done uni maybe, working etc. You are barely in adulthood. I know couples who were like this 18 and 23 and after a year broke up, because one of them was too immature or wanted to do other things, guess who, the young one.

I would avoid it for now, find someone your own age, let yourself grow into your 20s, then maybe once your older find him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending